Last Updated: November 29, 2022
The web design market is like a jungle for small businesses.
What design should you choose for your website?
What are the dos and don’ts in web designs for a business?
What’s the state of the web design industry in 2022?
You’ll get all the answers and more in our eye-opening list of web design statistics.
It can help you improve your business so that you won’t ask yourself, “What am I doing wrong?” ever again.
So, without further ado, let’s jump right in.
Stunning Web Design Statistics
Let’s start with some astonishing web design stats to get you warmed up for what’s ahead.
- 48% of users believe website design is the #1 factor when judging a business’s credibility.
- 38% of visitors will stop browsing a website if the layout is unattractive.
- The average user needs only 50 milliseconds to form an opinion about a website.
- 57% of consumers wouldn’t recommend a business without a mobile-friendly website.
- 88% of online shoppers are less likely to return to a site because of bad user experience.
- 94% of users create their first impression of a website based on web design alone.
- 68% of companies with a mobile-first website increased their sales.
- Web design alone forms 75% of the judgment of a company’s credibility.
Some of you probably didn’t know a website’s design plays such a vital role in your business.
Well, now that you know that it can make or break your business, let’s dive deeper into the ocean of web design stats.
I know setting up a new business is hard work – it’s like juggling flamethrowers. Everything should be perfect so that you can achieve your goals. Unfortunately, companies sometimes neglect their online presence.
So, to remedy this mistake, we’ve created this web design statistics list to show you how to make your business better.
The Importance of Web Design
Graphic designer working on computer
1. Website first impression statistics – Visitors create an opinion of a website in only 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds).
(Source: Behaviour & Information Technology)
- According to web design statistics, 94% of first impressions are design-related.
- Visitors need only 2.66 seconds to focus on a key area of a website.
- 75% of consumers base their opinion of an e-commerce website on design alone.
- A superb overall UX design can boost website conversion rates up to 400%.
- Design statistics show 47% of users expect a web page to load in two seconds.
- In case you are wondering, “How long does a website have to make an impression?” – The answer is 10 seconds.
People do judge a book by its cover. Creating a good first impression can pay off in the long run. That’s why you have to do everything right to ensure your customers feel at home even from the first time they land on your homepage.
But how do you make your design appealing without spending a treasure? By using a free website builder, of course. Some of them, like Wix, offer a splendid choice of designs, and others, like Squarespace are best for an undisturbed shopping experience.
2. Web designs & business credibility – Website design is the main factor for 48% of users when they determine the credibility of a business.
(Source: Blue Corona)
- 52% of consumers base their business loyalty on page loading speed.
- 94% of online shoppers don’t trust outdated or poorly designed websites.
- A good business web design should include custom content – it will improve 82% of users’ trust in the company.
- The business’s website design accounts for 75% of the evaluation of a company’s credibility.
If you want people to trust your business, you have to give them a reason to do so. Sites’ design is of utmost importance if you want your visitors to trust your business. And I bet you do.
SEO and Web Design Stats for 2021
For people to gain access to your products or services, they have to find them first. The online competition is fierce and only the strongest survive. That’s why you want your website to show up in the search results with the highest possible ranking.
3. Google accounts for more than 92% of the search engine market.
- A good website layout idea is to include video content – it’s 53 times more likely to land on the first page of Google.
- A quarter of all Google searches have video content.
- Updating old blog posts with new web design, images, and content can increase your traffic by up to 111%.
- Adding a video in a blog post can boost organic traffic by 157%.
Updating your blog posts with new web designs, images and content is as important for high ranking as SEO itself. Information that is not updated becomes irrelevant over time both for people and for Google, too.
Keep in mind people usually don’t reach Google’s second page when searching for something.
Mobile Web Design Statistics
Remember the saying that the customer is always right? More and more customers want a mobile-friendly design. If your site doesn’t have one, it’s about time you do something about it. Here’s why:
4. 74% of users are most likely to return to mobile-friendly websites.
(Source: Web FX)
Internet users spend the majority of their online time on mobile devices, or 155 minutes per day to be more precise. Businesses, therefore, need to make their websites mobile-friendly to attract more visitors. If this is not enough to convince you to have a mobile-friendly website, consider this stat: a whopping 74% of digital users are more likely to return to sites with mobile-ready website design. Moreover, 80% of them are keen to buy from a company with a mobile-friendly website or at least an app that answers their questions.
5. Mobile-ready website design – 50.81% of internet traffic came from mobile devices in 2020.
- 72% of users expect companies to have a mobile-ready website design.
- 53% of mobile users leave a website if it takes longer than three seconds to load.
- 57% of consumers wouldn’t recommend a website if it doesn’t have a mobile-friendly version.
- Mobile ecommerce accounted for 50% of the total US ecommerce revenue in 2018.
- 68% of companies with mobile-first web design increased their sales.
- According to website design statistics, 79% of users go back to search if the page they landed on isn’t mobile-friendly.
6. Importance of web design in page load speed – 40% of consumers will leave a site if it takes longer than three seconds to load.
- According to design statistics, page loading time affects the purchase decision of almost 70% of online shoppers.
- 88.5% of users cite slow loading as the top reason for leaving a website.
- The average loading time to fully load a website is 10.3 seconds on desktop, and 27.3 seconds on mobiles.
- What is a good average time on site? Good website design and content should keep the visitors on a page for between 2-3 minutes.
Think of your website as a Ferrari – it has to be both fast and beautiful. No one likes slow and ugly cars – and the same goes for sites.
To increase your clients (read profit), make sure you have an optimized website that loads quickly.
Otherwise, you’re losing potential customers.
Latest Web Design Trends
7. Web design facts and essentials – 51% of users cite “Thorough contact information” as the most crucial element missing from a company’s website.
- In terms of web design, images draw visitors’ attention for 5.94 seconds, and they spend about 5.59 seconds on written content.
- Given 15 minutes, 59% of people would prefer browsing beautiful and well-designed websites instead of ones with simple and plain design.
- More than a third (38%) of visitors will leave a page if the layout or content is unattractive.
- According to web design statistics, 65% of marketers believe using visual assets is essential for conveying a brand.
- Web design stats show 70% of people look at lists with bullet points, while 55% look at lists without bullets. (After all, you are looking at one
- right now.)
- Key elements to include in homepage web designs for small businesses:
- 86% of visitors want to see the company’s products or services.
- 64% want to be able to contact the company.
- 52% want to check the “About us” section.
These web design statistics are as specific as they get. The know-how to build a successful website is priceless. So take all of the above stats into account when creating your homepage, and you can thank us later.
8. Responsive web design statistics – 90% of people use multiple devices to visit the same website.
- 73.1% of consumers will leave a site with non-responsive design.
- Web design stats show responsive websites result in better sales for 62% of companies.
- 30% of visitors won’t engage with a page if it doesn’t look good on their current device.
What percentage of websites are responsive? By the end of 2019, the figure was around 90% of the active websites.
Responsive web design (RWD) is essential for your business’s website. More and more people use different devices to access the Web, and your website should appeal to every one of them. The lack of RWD will cost you customers.
Small Business Website Design Stats
9. 61.5% of visitors leave websites with lousy navigation.
- 84.6% of web designers cite crowded web design as the biggest mistake SMBs make.
- 44% of visitors will leave a company’s website if it lacks contact information.
- 41% of consumers will stop engaging with a page if the content is too long.
- Carousels (sliders) register clicks from only 1% of visitors.
Usually, small business owners create their site following the motto “They want it all and they want it now.”
Unfortunately, this is not the key to success. Visitors need just enough to stay on your website. Clean (yet beautiful) design, which includes only the essentials, can do miracles for your business.
10. Impacts of design on conversions – 70% of SMBs lack a call to action button.
- Increasing the website loading speed by a single second increases conversions by 27%.
- Clutter can destroy an otherwise great web design – if the number of elements on a page increases from 400 to 6,000, conversion rates drop by 95%.
- According to web design stats, personalized CTAs in the form of a button convert better than images – 6.5% vs. 2.6%.
- The best-designed websites have an excellent interface, which could raise conversions by up to 200%.
- User experience statistics show a better UX design can skyrocket conversion rates by 400%.
- When searching for a business online, 88% of mobile users call or go to that business within 24 hours.
Let’s be blunt – every website owner wants something from his visitors – to sell them something, to increase brand awareness, or simply to show what the website can offer.
That’s where conversion rates kick in.
You want your visitors to engage with your website and content – to make them a part of your family.
That’s why using some simple design tricks can skyrocket your conversion rates, thus increasing your profits.
11. Colors are the core of good web design – color alone increases brand recognition by 80%.
(Source: Loyola University, Maryland study)
- One of the well-known web design facts is that blue is the favorite color of both women (35%) and men (57%).
- According to the web design industry, using green as the website’s primary color increases traffic by 3%. Blue comes second with a 2% increment. Red themes decrease traffic by 1.35%.
- Black and white images hold the visitors’ interest for less than 0.6 seconds. Colored pictures, on the other hand, can keep users’ attention for more than two seconds.
- A site designed with darker colors experiences a 2% growth, while light-colored schemes result in 1.3% growth.
- According to web design statistics, using the right color can improve readership by up to 40%. Not only that, but the right colors improve learning and comprehension by more than 70%.
Color is one of the crucial elements of success. Not only does it make your brand stand out, but it also allows visitors to feel more comfortable while browsing. Designers and marketers apply color psychology to achieve better results. So should you.
It’s not a coincidence that Facebook, Twitter, and other big websites use blue as their brand and design color. Colors make a difference. A big one at that.
Web Design User Statistics
12. Modern website design stats show that 8 out of 10 consumers do not engage with content that doesn’t display well on their device.
According to Ironpaper’s website design statistics, websites with non-responsive design are at the risk of losing 80% of their potential customers. Hubspot reports an even higher percentage for the same metric. Their research suggests that about 93% of people leave a website if it doesn’t display properly on their internet-enabled device.
That’s a big deal. If nothing else has convinced you to invest in web design, this web design fact certainly should.
13. Usability and user experience statistics – 88% of users are less likely to go back to a website after a bad experience.
- User interface statistics show 60% of online shoppers believe website usability is a critical factor for their shopping experience.
- 77% of marketing agencies cite bad website user experience as their clients’ most significant weakness.
- Mobile users believe websites with bad UX make them less likely to return or recommend them. Almost 50% won’t return to such sites.
- According to web design stats, 54% of users believe too many ads on a website are the barrier to quality user experience.
- A study by Adobe shows 54% of users cite “appeals to my design sensibilities” as a significant factor of their user experience.
- When designing the layout of your website, keep in mind users spend 80% of their on-site time looking at the left half of the page.
At the end of the day, user experience is all that really matters. If you manage to make your visitors happy, they will repay you with loyalty and more purchases.
That’s why you shouldn’t make it hard for them to navigate your site. Moreover, make it beautiful, so not only visitors will be able to use your site, but they’ll enjoy it as well.
14. 94% of people cite web design as the main reason for mistrusting or rejecting a website.
(Source: Research Gate)
- 84% of marketers believe design-driven companies outperform other businesses.
- 73% of companies invest in design to differentiate their brand.
- A simple change in a button increased the sales of an ecommerce company by $300 million.
- Bad website usability causes 70% of online businesses to fail.
In a nutshell – website design is crucial. For your business to flourish, you have to have a strong online presence. And design matters.
15. Web development trends – As of March 2021, 86.9% of websites were using HTML5.
- Websites using HTML5 grow by 2.3%, while all others experience 1% growth.
- There are 58 new AMP pages every second.
- Progressive web apps (PWA) can save businesses up to 75% on maintenance and development cost.
- Half of all searches were voice searches in 2020.
- 58% of people searched for information about a local business through voice search.
Following the web development trends is crucial for success.
Your competitors do it and reap great rewards.
So to stay ahead of the curve, pay attention to what’s happening with the Web. That way, your website will be adequate in 2021 and beyond.
16. The color of the year is “ultimate grey and illuminating.”
- Flat web design scores 20% higher in terms of usability than a skeuomorphic one.
- Still, 65% of consumers say a skeuomorphic design is more beautiful than a flat interface.
- VR and AR markets combined are worth $3.7 billion.
- Here are the latest web design trends according to web designers:
- 88.5% believe flat web design is the new trend.
- 61.5% cite expressive typography as the game-changer in web designs in 2020.
- 38.5% count on broken grid layouts to impress their visitors.
- 26.9% used virtual reality to step up their game in 2019.
- 23.1% cite “voice user interface and search” as the newfag in web design.
We live in a world of wonders. Everything’s changing so fast that we can barely keep up the pace. That’s why you and your website should look into the future and be ready to adapt to it.
Balance your team’s creativity with beauty and usability while keeping track of the latest web design trends.
That’s the only way to be sure your website will meet your users’ requirements.
On-Page Web Design Statistics
17. People spend an average of 88% more time on web pages with videos.
(Source: Web FX)
The integration of videos on your website is a great way to attract more users, get higher user engagement, and increase the likelihood of visitors making purchases. Websites with videos also rank higher in search results. Videos are also among the top-performing content when it comes to user engagement. They also help boost sales by helping users understand a company, product, or service.
For many people, web design is like magic. It enchants some content so it could appeal to the website’s visitors.
If you are one of those people, you are only partly right. Web design is like magic, but it’s also about numbers.
If you think about it, all of these web design stats and facts are nothing more than proof that web design is crucial for your website, thus your business.
So, if you plan to start a business or already own one – keep these web design statistics in mind. That way, you can spend less time worrying about what’s wrong and more time on growing your business.