Where is TripAdvisor Going? 39+ Signpost Statistics
Last Updated: May 20, 2023
TripAdvisor has been in cyberspace for a while now.
In 2020, it will be a full 20 years in fact. In the context of the fast-changing, ever-expanding web that’s like eons.
Planet TripAdvisor is a solid body with its own gravitational pull and a host of satellites.
While its trajectory has so far been easy to trace, if you’re wondering where it’s going, check out some TripAdvisor statistics to help you figure it out.
Let’s first take a look at the most curious TripAdvisor stats:
TripAdvisor Statistics From Across the Globe (Editor’s Choice):
- 72% of consumers frequently or always consult reviews before deciding where to visit, eat or stay.
- TripAdvisor has over 702 million reviews of the world’s leading hotels.
- TripAdvisor lists over 7 million locations — restaurants, hotels, and tourist attractions.
- As the biggest travel advisor online, TripAdvisor has 490 million monthly active users.
- The platform continues to rank as number 1 in the Travel and Tourism category in the US.
- The company generates revenue of $1.62 billion worldwide.
- TripAdvisor ended 2018 as one of the best-performing stocks in the S&P 500.
- 7,000 new contributions appear on TripAdvisor every hour.
Do you want some more TripAdvisor statistics to explore? We got that destination covered.
TripAdvisor Market Share & Revenue
We all know TripAdvisor is big. But how big exactly?
1. TripAdvisor boasts over 702 million reviews of the world’s leading hotels.
- There are 160 million traveler photos on TripAdvisor.
- There are nearly 1 million attractions listed and reviewed.
- On average, 2,600 new topics appeared in TripAdvisor forums daily in 2016 already.
- 30.03% read reviews on TripAdvisor.
It looks like even browsing feels like traveling anymore. With the platform covering 136,000 destinations, your dream travel spots are always at your fingertips.
Not surprisingly, over 50% of users browse the site on their mobile. The biggest travel sites are in a rush to make destination ‘mobile’ more easily accessible.
Now, once you’ve dreamed up the perfect escape while commuting to work, you can delve into the details.
While it’s virtually impossible to say exactly how many reviews are on TripAdvisor, the following TripAdvisor stats should help you figure it out.
2. TripAdvisor lists over 8 million locations — restaurants, hotels, and tourist attractions.
- 24% of US travelers always rate their hotel stays.
- 47% of global internet users aged 16-24 posted an online review last month.
- TripAdvisor leads with 37.7 unique monthly visitors in the US alone.
Long gone are the times of just mom and pop dreaming of vacations. Online travel market 2019 stats show that Gen Z is taking the lead and that a third of Americans plan to spend more on leisure and travel in the next 12 months. US TripAdvisor stats are only a starting point, with the site covering all corners of the world.
3. TripAdvisor ranks number 1 in the Travel and Tourism category in the US.
(Source: Similar Web)
- Nearly 80% of searches come from desktops.
- 96.13% of traffic comes from customers searching directly for ‘TripAdvisor’.
- Visitors check between six and seven pages per visit in the US and as many as 10 in Italy.
With global travel on the rise and the tourist industry worth $1.7 trillion in 2018, we can only guess TripAdvisor’s expected growth will remain steady. We’ve all been there: on the lookout for an offbeat destination while TripAdvisor’s digital map of the world is expanding to connect cultures, peoples, and devices.
Still not convinced? See how all that translates into dollars.
4. TripAdvisor generates revenue of $1.62 billion worldwide.
- Experiences & Dining revenue is up 29% year-on-year to $80 million for Q1 in 2019.
- TripAdvisor operates in 49 countries and 28 different languages.
Investing in new features definitely pays and it shows in the TripAdvisor 2019 revenue spreadsheet: the platform is the 125th most visited site in the world.
In 2015, the company rebranded itself for the Chinese market and took up the name Mao Tu Ying. Bringing together the Chinese characters for ‘owl’ and ‘journey’, it strengthened its positions in one of the most promising travel markets worldwide.
5. TripAdvisor ended 2018 as one of the best-performing stocks in the S&P 500.
(Source: The Motley Fool)
- TripAdvisor’s stock rose 60% in 2018.
- TripAdvisor’s cash flow improved 37% in Q2 of 2019.
- The portfolio of bookable activities grew to 83,000 from 56,000 in 2018.
While global hotel chains can get a bit impersonal, local adventure is the real thing.
As the saying goes: “Tourists visit. Travelers explore.” The TripAdvisor rankings undoubtedly benefit from the company’s focus on experiences.
6. TripAdvisor has acquired 29 platforms so far.
- TripAdvisor acquired Viator for $200 million in 2014.
- Bokun, TripAdvisor’s latest acquisition, received $420, 000 in grants.
- New York’s Citymaps, backed by $12 million in venture funding, became part of TripAdvisor for an undisclosed amount.
But wait, that’s not all. Who are TripAdvisor’s competitors? Not too many seem to be left out there. TripAdvisor keeps the largest travel platforms on their toes as it steadily expands to cover more of travelers’ needs.
But in the end, it’s not all about money.
Now let’s turn to some TripAdvisor user statistics.
TripAdvisor Usage Statistics & Demographics in 2020
TripAdvisor is much more than a travel-research and review tool. TripAdvisor is love, TripAdvisor is life. And food. And hotels.
7. TripAdvisor has 490 million unique monthly visitors.
- 92% of travelers pick places with detailed descriptions.
- The travel giant generates 22 million tourist trips a year.
- TripAdvisor accounts for 10% of global travel spend.
There’s a lot of room to go north of these millions. TripAdvisor is doing it by boat by adding over 70 ‘Ship-tineraries’ this year. You can find one suited for every pocket, from luxury cruises to white-water rafting.
Travel deals statistics show that as long as we can dream up new destinations and experiences, we don’t mind coming back to the same platform for a virtual tour first.
8. TripAdvisor receives about 7,000 new contributions every hour.
(Source: The Telegraph)
- Brad Jill from Hong Kong has posted the most reviews — 3,200 and counting.
- 250 TripAdvisor employees watch out for fraudulent reviews.
- It takes 72 hours max for a review to be moderated.
Be careful though, fictional places also make it to the TripAdvisor restaurant reviews. The Shed at Dulwich is one of the most popular spoof spots on the platform. So obviously people like reading. If you want to make a mark, the least reviewed nation is Tuvalu.
9. 72% of consumers always or frequently read reviews before deciding where to visit, eat or stay.
- 52% of TripAdvisor users would never book a hotel with no reviews.
- 85% agree the reviews they read on TripAdvisor accurately reflect their experience.
- Users read nine reviews on average before making a decision to book a hotel or a restaurant.
User reviews, pictures, and everyday travel stories sound a lot more authentic than any fancy catalog. This is one of TripAdvisor’s best features since the trust is placed with the opinion of fellow travelers — rather than that of the virtual platform itself.
Word of mouth marketing stats makes it clear that we seek the opinions of other people.
With all of us getting used to digital word-of-mouth, 39% of travelers say they ignore extreme comments. In the meantime, the number of reviews keeps growing.
10. Over 30% of travelers research their trip 1-3 months in advance.
- 35% of travelers aged 18-34 begin their search by comparing destinations.
- The main reason to visit a destination is to experience its culture, society, and people.
- 72% of Millennials and 63% of Gen Z users prefer to spend money on experiences than on things.
As you can see, TripAdvisor user demographics highlight some interesting tendencies between various generations.
Given that dreaming up the perfect trip is an integral part of the travel experience, it’s now time to look at online travel lead generation.
In other words, how much is the “I-want-to-get-away” moment worth in bookings?
11. 87% of travelers write reviews to share good experiences.
- Two-thirds of consumers get ideas for places to stay from TripAdvisor.
- Beach vacations attract 57% of customers.
- Klook, the rising experiences expert, is TripAdvisor’s most ambitious competitor.
That takes us to the next question: Why is TripAdvisor important for your business?
TripAdvisor’s Impact on Hospitality Business
TripAdvisor has changed the global travel industry and that might be an understatement.
12. Nearly 90% of hoteliers say TripAdvisor is crucial to their business.
- Cambodia’s Viroth’s Hotel in Siem Reap, named the best hotel for 2018, costs just $135 a night.
- Lisbon’s Pasteis de Belem is the most reviewed restaurant with 10 000 ratings.
- 86% of TripAdvisor users would recommend TripAdvisor to fellow travelers for trip planning.
As you can see travelers are not always looking for luxury but memorable experiences. If you’re a satisfied traveler, return the favor and take the time to write an objective review. Remember, though: bad grammar is a big turn-off for 31% of users.
If you’re a hotelier, make sure you address criticism and learn from it. According to TripAdvisor data, 70% of businesses say that reviews have helped them improve their service. Even more impressive, 87% of travelers agree that a thoughtful response to a bad review improved their impression of the property.
13. Refundable rates are three times more likely to convert than non-flexible ones.
- 60% of global destination searches happen on mobile.
- Desktop still has a six times higher conversion rate, with 4.5% in 2017.
- A one-second delay in page response can result in a 7% drop in conversions.
- According to Google stats, user reviews are the third most influential factor in Google’s local pack algorithm.
In general, for 100 visitors browsing a travel site, about 40% will click to check rates, over 7% will click through credit card details and 2.2% will complete a booking.
If you want to boost those, TripAdvisor gives you pointers: include a clear cancelation policy, a trust-inspiring description, and an adequate photo for each listing. These are best browsed on a phone, but booked on a desktop, TripAdvisor news also confirms. The TripAdvisor mobile app is also constantly improving as the company diversifies its tourist offerings.
For a platform like this one, providing a mobile-friendly website is extremely important, as smartphone stats claim that the majority of people will not give a second chance to a website that is not well-suited for a smartphone.
I wonder what direction TripAdvisor and the whole online travel market will take in 2020. We’ll let you know when the statistics for 2019 come out. And we’ll keep you posted.
People trust other people and trust those they feel close to the most. So, chances are travelers will continue to count on fellow travelers’ advice, and both read and create reviews.
The latest TripAdvisor statistics sound like a validation of Terry Pratchett’s words: “[…] all this traveling and seeing things is fine but there’s also a lot of fun to be had in having been. You know, sticking all your pictures in a book and remembering things.”
So what are you waiting for? Go out and about, and if you find a new adventure — post a review!
March 9, 2021 at 8:10 am
Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may just I am getting that kind of info written in such a perfect means? I’ve a venture that I am just now running on, and I’ve been on the glance out for such information.|
free cod points
March 29, 2021 at 1:21 am
Great blog here! Also your site loads up fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol|
v bucks generator
March 29, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your weblog. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Cheers!|
April 7, 2021 at 7:00 pm
Excellent article. Keep posting such kind of information on your page. I’m really impressed by your blog.
You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they’ll benefit from
April 8, 2021 at 11:28 am
Hi I am so grateful I found your web site, I really found you by accident, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless, I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post and a round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the minute but I have saved it
and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb work.
April 9, 2021 at 8:25 am
Normally I do not learn articles on blogs, however, I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it!
Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, a quite nice post.
April 9, 2021 at 11:31 am
I’m extremely impressed along with your writing abilities as smartly as with the format on your blog. Is that a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Either way, keep up the nice quality writing, it’s uncommon to see a great blog like this one these days…
April 9, 2021 at 1:14 pm
Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired! Very useful info specifically the last part 🙂 I handle such information much.
I used to be looking for this certain information for a long time.
Thanks and best of luck.
April 9, 2021 at 7:59 pm
It’s very simple to find out any topic on the web as compared to textbooks, as I found this piece of writing
at this web page.
April 10, 2021 at 12:19 am
Can I just say what a comfort to discover somebody that really understands what they’re discussing on the net?
You actually understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
A lot more people really need to look at this and understand this side of your story.
April 10, 2021 at 2:51 am
Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful information specifically the last part :
) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time.
Thank you and good luck.
April 10, 2021 at 12:37 pm
Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to produce a superb article… but what can I
say… I procrastinate a lot and never seem to get anything is done.
April 10, 2021 at 1:18 pm
I am now not certain where you are getting your information, however good topic. I must spend some time finding out more or figuring out more. Thank you for the wonderful info I was in search of this info for my mission.
April 10, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Your style is really unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.
April 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm
It’s actually a cool and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
April 10, 2021 at 6:49 pm
Best article very interesting thanks for sharing this is very helpful
April 10, 2021 at 6:55 pm
Hello, I enjoy reading through your post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.
April 10, 2021 at 11:15 pm
My relatives always say that I am killing my time here at
net, however I know I am getting knowledge every day by reading these nice posts.
April 11, 2021 at 4:56 am
Very good article. I’m dealing with some of these issues as well..
April 11, 2021 at 6:22 am
Greetings from California! I’m bored at work so I decided to
check out your website on my iPhone during lunch break.
I love the information you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
I’m surprised at how quickly your blog loaded on my mobile…
I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic site!
April 13, 2021 at 10:52 pm
you’ve an amazing weblog right here! would you like to make some invite posts on my weblog?
April 14, 2021 at 11:46 pm
It’s remarkable to go to see this website and reading the views of all colleagues about this article, while I am also
zealous of getting familiarity.
April 23, 2021 at 1:42 pm
Your website offered us with valuable information to work on. have a nice post
May 5, 2021 at 12:21 pm
hi good luck~I don t have the time at this time to completely read your web site but I’ve bookmarked it and also insert your RSS feeds.