Last Updated: March 10, 2023
Do you ever encounter a website you want to view, but the content is blocked by your internet service provider or adblocker? This can be very frustrating, especially if you’re trying to access important information. Luckily, there’s a way to bypass this restriction and view the website of your choice.
In this article, we’ll talk about whitelisting and teach you how to whitelist a website using uBlock, AdBlock, and Chrome, as well as how to mark trusted sites directly from Windows.
What Is Website Whitelisting?
Before we dive into website whitelisting, let’s explain what a whitelist is—it’s a security list of websites, apps, and services that have been granted higher access authorization and approved for entrance to a classified area. Although most commonly found on whitelists are websites and apps, a whitelist can also include email addresses, online groups, and services.
So, what is whitelisting a site? Whitelisting a website means you’re allowing access to the site regardless of any restrictions in place. This can be useful if you want to view a site that’s normally unavailable due to your ad blocker, or if you want to ensure you always have access to a particular site.
How to Whitelist a Website?
Those who have administrative privileges on Google Chrome have control over the content they consume, as they’re able to allow or block URLs on Chrome. If you’re not one of these individuals, you have to install some type of extensions such as AdBlock or uBlock.
So, what’s the need to whitelist a URL?
Since most online services like news websites rely on ads to generate revenue, you’ll encounter them regularly upon opening a site. Many sites require you to disable your ad blocker entirely, and chances are you don’t want to be bothered by annoying ads. This is where whitelisting comes in handy, as it can help you pick out and support only the websites you frequently interact with.
There are a few different ways to whitelist a website, and we’ll go over each method so that you can choose the one that’s best for you.
How to Whitelist a Website in Chrome?
If you’re using the Chrome browser, there’s a way to whitelist a website so that it’s always accessible. Here, we’ll explain how to whitelist a website in Chrome if you have uBlock installed on your browser:
- Open the Chrome browser and look for the uBlock icon, which is usually located in the top-right corner, but sometimes hidden beside your Chrome profile image.
- To whitelist a given website, click on the power button icon of the uBlock popup, which will disable uBlock on the site you’re currently visiting.
- You can also whitelist just a certain webpage without whitelisting the whole website by pressing Ctrl and then clicking on the uBlock power button.
How to Whitelist a Website on AdBlock?
You might be wondering: “How do I whitelist a website without entirely disabling AdBlock?” Lucky for you, there’s no need to turn off AdBlock if you want to support and visit your favorite sites.
Here are the instructions on how to whitelist an entire website or a single webpage on AdBlock:
- Start your Chrome browser and find the AdBlock icon located in the upper-left corner.
- Left-click on the icon and select “Don’t run on pages on this domain” from the rundown.
- Select “Exclude” on the prompt that appears.
- If you’re looking to whitelist a specific webpage, select “Don’t run on this page” from the AdBlock rundown.
How to Whitelist on Windows 10?
You can also whitelist websites without accessing the Chrome browser by marking trusted sites directly from your Windows.
Here’s how to whitelist sites if you’re operating on Windows 10:
- Navigate to the Windows icon located in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Search for Internet Options and select Security from the pop-up window that appears.
- Then, select “Trusted sites” and insert the website of your choice.
How to Whitelist in Chrome on iPhone and Android
Adding websites to the approved list on iPhone and Android in Chrome is slightly different than on your computer. To learn how to whitelist websites on Android and iPhone, follow the instructions below.
Whitelisting Websites on Android
- On your Chrome browser, open the website you want to add to your trusted list.
- Navigate to the three-dot icon in the upper-left corner.
- Tap on the icon and select “Site Settings” from the rundown.
- Then, go to Permissions and select the lock icon.
- On Android, you can also manage permissions for several websites at once.
- Start by opening the Chrome app, navigate to the three-dot icon, and scroll down to the Advanced section.
- Then, access Site Settings to manage the permissions for your websites.
Whitelisting Websites on iPhone
- To whitelist websites on iPhone in Chrome, start by navigating to the three-dot icon in the bottom right corner.
- Choose Settings from the rundown menu, select Content Settings, and manage your permissions.
|DID YOU KNOW: Managing parental controls on Apple devices can help parents protect their children from cyberbullying and the negative effects of screen overexposure. You can also protect younger children from inappropriate content by blocking access to a certain website on iPhone devices.|
|A whitelist is a security list of websites and apps that have been granted higher access authorization.|
|Whitelisting websites can help you support websites you enjoy using.|
|Through the Chrome browser, you can whitelist websites on iPhone, Android, and PC devices.|
|Users can whitelist websites without entirely disabling AdBlock.|
As discussed in the article above, there are various practices you can use to whitelist different kinds of websites. Users can choose how to whitelist websites depending on their needs—through ad blocker extensions such as uBlock and AdBlock, using the Chrome browser, or by marking a URL as a Trusted site directly through Windows.
How you’ll whitelist a website in Chrome depends on whether you’re doing so from your PC, iPhone, or Android device. All three procedures are similar to one another, differring only slightly from one another. To learn more about each process, consult the sections in the article.
Follow these steps if you want to whitelist a website on Firefox:
- Open the menu bar and click on Security.
- Then, open “Exceptions” and type in the website URL you want to whitelist.
- Click “Close” and “Okay” to confirm the action.
To learn how to whitelist a website using Microsoft Edge, follow these instructions:
- Open the Control Panel and choose Internet Options.
- Click on the Security tab in Internet Properties.
- Navigate to the Trusted Sites icon and click on Sites.
- Enter the website URLs and click on the Add button.
- Click OK.
There are plenty of internet providers on the market—to determine which one best meets your requirements, consider factors such as your budget and how good the connection is in your area. For more help, you can check out our list of best internet providers for 2022.