Guide on Recording Skype Calls [2023 How-To]
Last Updated: March 17, 2023
Since a great number of people work from home nowadays, it’s very helpful to know how to make the most of video platforms. Did you know that you can record your meetings to make sure you have all the important details saved for later use?
In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to record Skype calls on any device.
Can You Record a Skype Call?
Before 2018, you had to use a third-party app or program to record your video calls. Today Skype has a built-in feature for recording calls that works both on desktop and mobile platforms and is very easy to use. But, let’s discuss some important questions first.
Is it permitted to record?
It’s advised to inform the people that they’re being recorded, and a notification will appear when you record. When you record a Skype conversation, there will be a notice at the top of the screen, indicating to all the participants that the call is being recorded.
There are some instances when recording is not convenient. You shouldn’t record delicate or intimate conversations as well as casual conversations with co-workers and friends.
When is it a good idea to record?
There are instances when a video or audio call should be recorded, mostly for practical reasons.
- When the content of the call includes many (important) details
Being on a call with an important client may require precise performance and greater attentiveness to details. It can be difficult to multitask sometimes, so if the client agrees, you can record a video on Skype, so the details can be revisited afterward.
- If the call contains information that may solve some legal issues
Skype alerts both the receiver and the caller when the recording starts, making the process fully legal. Also, video call recordings can enhance regulatory conformity and overall reputation handling. It’s especially handy in cases when misinterpretation can lead to various lawsuits and legal liabilities, so the recording can be strong evidence against false claims.
|DID YOU KNOW: Skype started its journey as a public beta in 2005. It was founded by a group of scientists from Estonia, Denmark, and Sweden. A few years after that, Microsoft bought the company.|
How to Record Skype Calls
Call recording with Skype can be used on Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android. If you want to record directly from a browser, it is supported on Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. Let’s see how to do this on multiple platforms step by step.
How to Record a Skype Call On a Laptop
If you install Skype on your laptop, you can record the session directly on the app. Follow this step-by-step guide on how to record and download a Skype video call on your laptop.
Record a call
- Step 1: Open Skype on your Windows.
- Step 2: Find and select the person you want to call from your contact list.
- Step 3: Press on the Audio call or Video call button in the top right corner to start calling.
- Step 4: Click the three-dotted menu button placed on the bottom-right corner.
- Step 5: Click “Start recording”.
When you use this feature, the recording will be uploaded to Microsoft’s cloud-based servers, and you can download it anytime during the month.
End a call
When you want to end the call, find the same three dots in the bottom right corner and select “Stop recording”.
Download the recording
- Step 1: Open Skype.
- Step 2: Find and select the discussion from the “Recent Chats” on the left.
- Step 3: Move the mouse over the recording to reveal the menu button.
- Step 4: Click the three-dotted menu button on the right.
- Step 5: Choose the “Save as” option to download the recording Skype video or audio.
- Step 6: Next, select the folder you want to download the conversation.
- Step 7: Define the specific name for the file.
- Step 8: Choose the “Save” button.
The conversations will appear by default in the Skype chat timeline, so all the participants can review, save, and share them.
|DID YOU KNOW: Before video technologies like Skype or FaceTime, there were public “videophone booths”. In 1964, AT&T set up its Picturephone “Mod I” systems in Washington D.C., New York City, and Chicago. People had to pay large sums of money for each call and all the calls were booked in advance.|
|The option of recording a Skype call is a built-in feature on Skype since 2018.|
|It’s a great idea to record the call if taking notes is not an option or there are some important details mentioned in the call that you need to remember.|
|Skype recording while you have a meeting can solve some legal issues.|
|To capture a Skype call on a laptop, you’ll need to do 3 core steps: record it, download it, then save the file.|
How to Record a Skype Call On a Phone
Both Android and iPhone devices are Skype-friendly and you can make calls on both.
Record a Skype video on Android phones:
To record a call
- Step 1: Open Skype.
- Step 2: At the top right corner of the Skype UI, you’ll find an Address Book icon. Tap it and select the contact you want to call. With this, you’ll open the chat.
- Step 3: Tap the video call icon. After it is connected, tap the + icon in the right corner. A menu will pop up on the screen, and you’ll need to tap on the red “Start Recording” button. The recording will start right away.
As soon as this happens, the person you’re talking to will be notified that the call is being recorded. Of course, it’s best to inform them that you will be recording the conversation prior to this.
To stop recording
- Step 4: Tap on the + option, and choose “Stop Recording”, whenever you want to quit the Skype video calls that are being recorded. If you don’t do this, the recording will stop by default when you hang up.
To view and save the call
- Step 5: To view the recorded call, hover the mouse over the chat and tap on the video icon to play it. The recorded videos are available for viewing for 30 days. Note that, unless you download them, they will be automatically deleted after the 30-day period.
- Step 6: If you need to save the video recording, tap on the ellipsis icon, find the chat that the video is recorded in, and tap “More”. Then click on “Save” and check whether the file has been saved in your Downloads folder.
Now, let’s see how to record a Skype video call on an iPhone
To record a Skype call on iOS you have to first start the call you want to record. Once you do this, follow the next steps:
- Step 1: Find the ellipsis icon, tap it, and you’ll see the menu.
- Step 2: Choose the “Start Recording” button. You’ll see a notification or a pop-up on the screen to warn you and the person on the other side that the call is being recorded.
- Step 3: When you’re ready to stop the recording, find the dotted button again, and hit “Stop Recording”. Skype recording calls stop automatically if you end the call. Skype will then share the recording to your chat. The recording will be available to download for the next 30 days.
If you want to preview the video call before downloading, open the target chat and find the video thumbnail. Once you click on it, you have the option to start, pause, fast-forward, or rewind it back to the exact place you’re looking for.
Note that the recording will be saved as an MP4 file, regardless of whether it’s an audio or video recording. A Skype video call can have a maximum duration of 24 hours and requires the capture of all shared screens. If the footage is too long, the program cuts it into several shorter pieces.
|Did you know: The first video call was made in 1956. AT&T came up with its “Picturephone” prototype that could transmit images every two seconds over telephone lines.|
Who Can Record a Skype Call? Permissions
When you install Skype for the first time, it will ask you for permission to access your camera (so when you make a video call, send a photo, or change your profile picture, it can access it with your consent). Also, it asks you for permission to use your microphone, so you can make calls. Skype might also ask you for permission to access your photo gallery, your contact list, or your current position for location sharing.
In case you choose “Don’t Allow” when asked for those permissions, you won’t be able to record a video with Skype, use the camera, etc.
To fix this issue here’s how to change your privacy settings and get the best out of the mobile app:
- Step 1: Go to “Settings”.
- Step 2: Tap on “Apps” and scroll down until you find Skype.
- Step 3: When you find the app in the menu, tap on it and go to “Permissions”.
- Step 4: Enable access to the camera, contacts, location, microphone, files, and media, by tapping on them.
Increased online communication has caused many people to start using appointment scheduling apps and conference call services. Skype remains among the favorite methods of virtual communication. So, learning how to record a Skype video call can be very useful for the purpose of recording meetings, online courses, and everything else that demands undivided attention.
You can use third-party screen recording software to capture audio and video. Some of the best apps of this type are Loom and Screencast-O-Matic. They are available on Windows, Mac, Android, and iPhone/iPad.
Yes. Open Skype, click on the three-dotted ellipsis icon at the bottom right for more options. Then click on “Start recording”. As soon as you end a call, click on the ellipsis icon and choose “Stop recording”. Save the recording to your desired storage location by clicking on the three-dotted icon and choosing “Save as”.
The first thing to know about how to record Skype calls is that you have the ability to record your Skype to Skype calls in the app itself. These recordings are all stored in the Skype-owned cloud, so you don’t need to worry about whether you have enough storage space.