I guess you being here means you’ve accepted social media’s world dominance. So, you’ve decided to see how you can use it to promote your business… or yourself, if that’s your thing.
There’s probably a question that’s been nagging you for a while.
What is the best time to post on Facebook? Or what is the best time to post on Instagram? How about what is the best time to post on Twitter?
You’ve come to the right place. I can answer all of those.
I can even tell you what is the best time to post on LinkedIn.
Let me impress you even more:
- Wednesday gives the highest click-through rate.
- The best day for brands to post on Instagram is Thursday.
- People are most active on Instagram during lunch break.
- Research shows that Facebook posts get the most engagement on weekdays, between 12 p.m and 3.pm.
- The highest engagement on Twitter happens on Fridays, between 9 and 10 am.
- The best time to post on LinkedIn is between 7 and 8 am on workdays.
- The most optimal time to post depends on the industry itself.
Wanna discover more about what is the best time to post on social media?
1. Wednesday gives the highest click-through rate.
- There are around 3.34 billion active social media users worldwide.
- 80% of Americans live in the Central and Eastern time zones.
- Social media traffic increases with up to 39% if you post at the right time.
🎶 I am the voice of the next generation
Completely digital 🎶
I found out about this song purely because of this article. And some people claim that social media statistics don’t enrich your life! Please.
Almost all of us are on social media and almost all of us are addicted to it. But in order to get the most from it, you need to know when to post. Posting at the right time increases engagement.
Choosing your target group is the first step. Considering their time zone is the second. Most of the US population is situated in the Central and Eastern time zones. That’s a good enough start.
Let’s talk social media posting times.
2. The best day for brands to post on Instagram is Thursday.
(Source: Sprout Social)
- However, the best day for global engagement is still Wednesday.
- Sunday is the worst day for Instagram posts.
- Most Instagram logins are from mobile, so people don’t use the app as much during work hours.
All brands get the most consistent engagement on Thursday. While Wednesday is still the peak day, Thursday is guaranteed to give you results. Why? There’s a theory that Thursday is the “little Friday”, which means that people are more relaxed and willing to shop.
And if you’re wondering why I haven’t listed the days best for B2B and B2C businesses, the answer is quite simple. Instagram is the most popular social media right now. In such a highly competitive environment, you should know exactly who you’re targeting. Sprout Social has done very detailed research about when companies in different industries should be posting on Instagram.
What about the worst time to post on Instagram?
Sunday. The whole of it.
Post consistently. Sure, there are days that are better for posting but do try to post at least twice a week. It maximizes engagement. Hitting a posting lull could be near-fatal for your business pages, so avoid it at all costs.
We have yet to discuss what is the best time to post on Instagram, though.
3. People are most active on Instagram during lunch break.
- Posting on workdays, between 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. will give you the highest engagement.
- You’ll get the lowest engagement late at night or early in the morning, between 11 pm – 3 am.
- Users spend 272 minutes on average on Instagram monthly.
People are rarely fully conscious before going to bed and right after getting up. Sure, we all browse social media before and after sleep (No? Just me? Liar.). We’re, however, barely adequate.
Now, think about lunchbreak. You go out to eat, either alone or with your colleagues. Either way, at one point you’re on your phone, watching Instagram posts, right? See what I mean? It’s about the only time in our fast-pace daily schedule when we can catch a breath and spend some time on social media.
No wonder Instagram’s peak times are around 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
It’s hands down the best time to engage your audience.
You can’t devote your whole time to posting schedules. I get that. Fortunately for you, there are a lot of social media management tools out there to help you. Buffer, Hootsuite, SproutSocial, just to name a few. You can rely on them for all social media platforms.
It’s not only Instagram engagement that flourishes during weekdays.
4. Research shows that Facebook posts get the most engagement on weekdays, between 12 p.m and 3.pm.
- If you post on the weekend, you might wanna do it between 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.
- Sunday is the day with the least engagement.
- B2B brands should post between Tuesday and Thursday, around 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- B2C brands should focus on the days between Monday and Wednesday, at 12 p.m.
We’ve already talked about Facebook and how it’s still in the top ranks among social media platforms. That makes it important for business too.
As we established, Sunday is the enemy of engagement. Posting during the weekend as a whole is a bad idea. People are either out and about, or home relaxing and very few of them want to deal with targeted posts.
What is the best time to post on Facebook?
Businesses will have the most success on Facebook when posting between Monday and Thursday. The best time of day to post on Facebook, regardless of the day, is around lunchbreak.
Along with posting at the right time, you can also boost your posts. Boosted posts will also help you find out exactly what type of content generates the most engagement. That alone can help you with creating posts and raising said engagement.
At this point, you might’ve accepted Wednesday around lunch break as the perfect time to post, no matter the social media.
Not so fast.
5. The highest engagement on Twitter happens on Fridays, between 9 and 10 am.
(Source: Sprout Social)
- Wednesday at 9 a.m. is also a good time to tweet.
- The lowest engagement on Twitter is between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., and the worst day is Sunday.
- B2B brands should post between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. EST on Monday or Thursday, mainly around lunchtime.
- It’s best for B2C brands to post 12 p.m. or 1 p.m. EST, between Monday and Wednesday.
Twitter can be a bit tricky for businesses. It really isn’t the best platform for advertising. However, it’s a great channel for communication. So keep that in mind!
Bravely engage with your audience! Writing only business posts on Twitter won’t gain you any followers. Commenting on popular topics and finding ways to connect them with what you offer is a winning combination.
Here’s a great example by ASOS:
What is the best time to post on Twitter?
Monday through Thursday are the days with the highest engagement for all types of businesses on Twitter. As for the best time of the day to tweet – you can’t get it wrong with lunchbreak, truly.
Except if you’re posting on LinkedIn.
6. The best time to post on LinkedIn is between 7 and 8 am on workdays.
(Source: The Balance Small Business)
- 88% of users check LinkedIn at least once daily.
- The best day to post on LinkedIn is Tuesday.
- B2B brands should post on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- B2C brands should focus on Monday and Wednesday.
LinkedIn is often underestimated. Sure, it’s not the best place to convince Generation Z to buy your product. It is, however, a gold mine for B2B advertising.
What is the best time to post on LinkedIn if you’re on the B2B side of things?
Glad you asked.
B2B brands should focus on Tuesday and Wednesday, especially in the mornings.
But when to post on LinkedIn if you’re B2C oriented?
The best time to post on LinkedIn for B2C business is between Monday and Wednesday. Unlike other social media platforms, LinkedIn gets the best engagement on Tuesdays, especially between 7 and 8 a.m.
Whether you’re B2B or B2C, make sure to publish shareable content. This is usually content that helps people do their job better, tips on how to improve, articles that hit some painful points (staff being underpaid) or something that makes them laugh. News and updates are also favored amongst LinkedIn users.
7. The most optimal time to post depends on the industry itself.
- 91% of retail brands use social media.
- The optimal time to post, in general, is between 9 and 12 a.m. EST.
- The days with the highest traffic are between Monday and Wednesday.
It’s a social media world and I’m a social media girl – I say, as I update my Instagram story.
Don’t judge, my coffee looks good. Especially with a filter on.
Okay, okay, I might be spending too much time on social media.
Now. Let’s sum up this whole ordeal.
What is the best time to post on social media?
Every business has its own unique target groups. Every social media plays by its own rules. Every group of people has its own demands.
Can you use one formula to rule them all?
No, Sauron. Unfortunately, you cannot.
You see, you can’t post content targeted at new moms at 1 o’clock in the morning. Chances are, they’re trying to get some precious minutes of sleep.
You also won’t succeed if you post content for businessmen around 4 o’clock. They’re most probably at a meeting and not on Facebook.
Wednesday is your best friend. If gets you the highest engagement rates across all social media platforms.
Unless you’re posting on LinkedIn. Then it’s Tuesday.
Thursday, if you want consistent engagement on Instagram.
Friday, if you’re looking for Twitter’s peak time.
But really. You can’t go wrong with Wednesday.
Posting on Sunday is social media suicide. Don’t do it, talk to your social media manager first (if you have one).
The best time to post is hands down around lunchbreak.
Early in the morning for LinkedIn and Twitter though.
If you have to take one thing from this article, let that be it:
When in doubt, post on Wednesday, during lunch break.
Thank me later.
That’s all, folks. It should now be clear what is the best time to post on Facebook. Or on social media in general.
Keeping my fingers crossed that you found my little tips and tricks helpful too!
Till next time!