Last Updated: May 20, 2023
Have you ever wondered what is it that made WeChat an instant hit among mobile users in China?
The number of WeChat users is growing, and it is rising on the popularity charts at an immensely fast rate. To begin with, after its initial launch back in 2011, WeChat was already ruling the roost in China.
The latest WeChat statistics show that it has a whopping 902 million daily users.
No other messaging apps can equal the fame that this app has won in such a short period of time.
No wonder that the popularity of WeChat is increasing, and it is regarded as one of the most widely accepted modes of communication in China.
Wanna know what leads to more and more people using WeChat for messaging? Let’s take a look at these amazing facts here and now:
- There are a whopping 1.17 billion users as of Q1 2020.
- WeChat has 1 billion monthly active users.
- Nearly 1 billion registered WeChat users live in China.
- WeChat Pay had nearly 800 million users in Q4 2019.
- WeChat is totally free worldwide.
- It is the fifth most widely used social networking app in the world.
- Every day, WeChat users send nearly 205 million video messages.
- WeChat is positioned to be the number one hub in the social media ecosystem of China.
- WeChat boasts nearly 410 million audio and video calls per day.
- WeChat’s stock price is $53.58 as of 27 May 2020.
Now let’s get started with a couple of interesting and vital WeChat stats. These will show the increasing significance of this messaging app and how it has already taken the whole world by storm!
1. There are a whopping 1.17 billion users, usage stats for Q1 2020 show.
(Business of Apps) (We Are Social)
Just pause and ponder these figures for a minute.
Believe it or not, the latest WeChat user stats show that there are around 1.17 billion users.
This has been confirmed by the WeChat statistics for the first quarter of 2020.
That’s amazing. And it also shows how more and more people are using this messaging app to stay connected during the COVID-19 crisis.
But wait, there are more surprises in store for you!
2. WeChat boasts of having more than 1 billion active users every month.
(Business of Apps) (We Are Social)
There is no denying the fact that the number of active users of WeChat is over 1 billion every month.
Surprised? You ought to be! It is, undoubtedly, one of the most used messaging apps globally, just behind Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.
3. More than 1 billion registered WeChat users live in China.
Any guesses about the current WeChat user stats in China?
You’ll be amazed to know that out of the total number of WeChat users, more than 1 billion are said to be living in China itself.
4. WeChat Pay has around 800 million users in Q4 2019.
(Business of Apps) and (Dragon Social)
Do you know how many people use WeChat?
As per the latest WeChat Pay statistics, there are as many as 800 million people using WeChat Pay, the figures reported by Tencent for Q4 2019.
Meanwhile, there is more to it, folks!
According to Business Insider, not less than 900 million people were reportedly using this multi-purpose social media and messaging app.
5. Developed by Tencent, WeChat is absolutely free internationally.
So, is WeChat free internationally?
Yes, this app is absolutely free to install, download, and use for sending messages and communication.
Also known as the ‘super app’ and ‘app for everything, thanks to its wide variety of functions, WeChat offers all these facilities free of cost.
WeChat Usage Stats
Now that you know the basics of WeChat statistics, it is time to find out more about its use. So, we shall focus on its usage, especially in the U.S., and some other important highlights.
So, here we go.
6. It is quite clear that China is the biggest user of WeChat. Nonetheless, it is the fifth most widely used social networking app the world over.
(We Are Social) (Statista)
WeChat usage is highest in China followed by the U.S., which comes in second.
WeChat usage stats by country reveal that this social app does have users outside its country of origin too. That said, the majority of WeChat users within the U.S. hail from China.
Moreover, Hong Kong’s use of WeChat is said to be 44%, while that of Singapore – 24%.
7. The U.S. had nearly 2.47 million active WeChat users as of July 2018.
Does anybody know what the exact WeChat usage stats in the USA are?
WeChat is rapidly becoming a popular messenger app in the U.S. as a large number of Americans, estimated to be nearly 2.47 million (July 2018), are using it actively.
8. To enjoy face-to-face conversations, WeChat users send nearly 205 million video messages every day.
Users simply love exchanging video messages with their friends and family members.
And WeChat is being increasingly used for video messaging, the latest WeChat video usage stats show. Users send as many as 205 million video messages every day.
9. WeChat is positioned to be the number one hub in the social media ecosystem of China with its 73.7% users.
(WeChat Wiki) and (Statista)
The social media landscape of China is becoming enormously diversified, day by day.
Still, WeChat has occupied its popularity rank ever since its launch. In fact, WeChat’s social media ecosystem statistics reveal that it is the top hub and the most active social media platform.
As per a survey undertaken in October 2019, WeChat is the most popular mobile social media app with as many as 73.7% of users.
WeChat for Business
10. WeChat is equally popular for business or work purposes as it is among general users. It is used quite successfully among employees in their respective workplaces too.
With WeChat for Business, you can communicate with your prospective and existing audience, showcase your product, and win them over to your customer list.
Are key players like Apple Pay listening? The WeChat business account is going to give those other giant players some tough competition.
Don’t you agree?
11. With more than 1 billion users every month, WeChat advertising provides a wide reach on the biggest social media platform in China.
WeChat is accessible globally and it is free to use.
Another great thing about this app is that it offers a host of services for the users, be it shopping, ticketing, making payments, search, etc.
WeChat advertising statistics proudly reveal its monthly users to be more than 1 billion. After all, WeChat advertising provides a gateway for global companies to reach Chinese customers.
12. WeChat boasts of nearly 410 million audio and video calls made every day, not counting 45 billion messages. A large number of these messages include animated stickers.
WeChat marketing statistics boast of as many as 410 million videos and audio calls made every day on WeChat. In addition, around 45 billion messages are shared daily on WeChat.
WeChat users also get the extra option of using animated stickers to convey their varied emotions, lifestyles, and values.
13. WeChat’s stock price is $53.58 as of 27 May 2020.
China’s number one tech firm and operator of WeChat, one of the most popular social media platforms, Tencent made its appearance on the U.S. Stock Exchange.
With the WeChat stock price being $53.58 as of 27th May 2020, this social media app is a sure-shot winner and its stock is something to watch for.
Are potential buyers listening?
14. As of Q3 2019, WeChat Pay has a market share of 39.5%.
(Business of Apps)
The reign of WeChat shows that its share in the world’s market is getting larger, day by day.
The WeChat market share, as estimated by the iResearch Consulting Group, is said to be 39.5% as of Q3 2019.
Tencent statistics reveal that every day, as many as 1 billion WeChat Pay transactions take place.
15. WeChat has more than 1 billion active users every month and nearly 1.17 billion users in all, as the Q4 2019 stats reveal.
(Business of Apps)
WeChat audience stats show that it has 1.17 billion users in all apart from one billion active users in a month.
16. WeChat is the 10th most downloaded app in China, figures for January 2020 suggest.
(We are Social)
WeChat download stats for January 2020 say that WeChat is the 10th most downloaded social media app in China.
You will be surprised to know that in January 2019, it was the fifth most downloaded app.
WeChat Revenue Stats
17. WeChat reportedly brought 330 billion RMB worth of business over the year 2017 into the economy of China.
(Caict) (Business of Apps)
So, the revenue stats for WeChat show that the social messaging app churned in 330 billion RMB into the economy of China over 2017.
This resulted in employment generation for almost 20 million people.
18. Talking about WeChat valuation, Tencent, the owner of WeChat, exceeded $500 billion in market capitalization in 2018.
Developed by Tencent, a Chinese tech giant, WeChat is the most in-demand all-in-one app.
From $83.5 billion in 2015, WeChat valuation has reached around $500 billion in terms of market capitalization, figures for the year 2018 state.
So, by the year 2018, it had already exceeded the value of Facebook, another social messaging app.
19. Tencent’s market capital is said to be $537 billion in mid-May 2020.
Talking of Tencent’s net worth, it would not be wrong to say that Tencent is, undoubtedly, one of the greatest success stories, at least for the past 20 years.
Tencent’s market capital has touched $537 billion as per the figures for mid-May 2020.
Tencent’s digital marketing industry statistics in China, for the first quarter, showed an increase of 32% year-on-year, according to digital marketing statistics.
WeChat Fun Facts
WeChat statistics don’t need to only concern business and work. They can be just for fun, too!
20. Around 76.4% of WeChat users admit using Moments for sharing their experiences with their loved ones.
As many as 76.4% of WeChat users make use of Moments for catching up with their friends and family members and share their experiences every day.
As per the stats, nearly all of this app’s official account users opt for WeChat for getting news and promotion of their businesses.
21. People in China have been found to spend nearly one-third of their total time online on WeChat.
(Business of Apps)
Not only this, but the WeChat usage trends show that WeChat is the most widely used app among nearly 87.6% of its users.
Around 23% of internet users tend to check this app not less than once every day the world over.
All these show WeChat’s tremendously growing popularity.
The online platform is enjoying a clear dominance in China, and the above WeChat statistics are clear evidence of this.
With its extra features and services, it remains to be seen which other spheres of our lives it will impact in the future. Till then, have fun chatting.