Last Updated: March 17, 2021
“Snapchat” sounds catchy. It’s simple and at the same time creative.
To snap, which means “to take a lot of photos quickly,” and to chat is what we use Snapchat for. Well, we only use the chat there to comment on a picture, really.
The focus is on the main function of Snapchat, which is taking a photo and sending it to friends who usually have only several seconds to view it. After that, it disappears forever. Poof! Magic!
But there’s much more to Snapchat than that, as you’ll find out from today’s Snapchat statistics. There are filters, stories, and ads. Oh yes, brands are widely using Snapchat for advertising, and it’s working.
Without further ado, let’s see everything there is to know about Snapchat. It will be fun!
Of course, starting with some
Fascinating Snapchat Facts
- The number of Snapchat’s monthly active users is 310.7 million.
- There are 190 million daily active users on Snapchat.
- Users open Snapchat about 20 times a day.
- 60% of users are under the age of 25.
- There are 97.55 million US users.
- Currently, Snapchat has 4209 employees.
- Snapchat stories are viewed 10 billion times a day.
Incredible! Now let’s dig deeper into the numbers!
Snapchat Statistics 2020
If you can’t decide whether to include Snapchat as part of your social media marketing strategy, this post is a must-read. In this post, we’ll share some of the latest Snapchat statistics, future predictions, and insights that you will find quite useful in making your final decision. Let’s get started:
1. Snapchat daily active users have increased to 238 million in the second quarter of 2020
That’s a 9 million user increase from the previously recorded figure, which was approximately 229 million. This increase is attributed to its new design.
2. Overall the new figure for daily active users represents an increase of 17% year over year
This is because there were 203 million daily active users in the second quarter of 2019 and 190 million daily active users at the beginning of 2019.
3. The longest Snapchat streak stands at 1,802
(Source: Smart Insights)
This shows that Snapchat users are thoroughly engaged and love exchanging snaps and videos on the platform.
4. Snapchat is the top 7 social media site in the world
It is a heavily used social media site and application. Most users frequent this application to share updates and communicate with friends and family through short video messages and disappearing images. Since video-driven storytelling content works best on this application, brands can use it to entertain and attract the audience forming instant connections with customers.
It’s easy to connect because the Snapchat usage among people is massive. Take a look at the next statistics to see what we are talking about.
5. An average user spends 30 minutes on Snapchat and opens it 30 times daily on average
(Source: Business of Apps)
It means that 46% of the users access it several times a day, 15% access it about once a day, and 39% access it less often.
So, how much is Snapchat worth? Read the next statistic to find out.
6. In quarter 2 of 2020 Snapchat revenues increased by 17% to $454 million
This is a positive sign, especially in the current challenging economic situation when COVID-19 has brought all businesses to a standstill.
Now let’s take a look at some future predictions:
7. Snapchat is expected to add over 63 million Snapchatters by the end of 2023
(Source: Search Engine Journal)
This prediction is based on its growing upward trend in terms of popularity and revenues. Unlike others, the company has grown every quarter even during COVID-19.
8. Snapchat global advertising revenues are expected to reach $2.62 in 2021
(Source: Smart Insights)
This shows that business owners will be investing more in advertising on Snapchat as more people are starting to use it actively.
Snapchat User Statistics
The total number of Snapchat monthly active users is 310.7 million
9. How many people use Snapchat? The total number of Snapchat monthly active users is 310.7 million.
The first question is – who uses Snapchat?
- 39% of Snapchat users are 18-24 years old.
- 75% of 13 to 34-year-olds in the US are Snapchat users.
- 90% of 13 to 24-year-olds in the US use Snapchat.
- About 61% of Snapchat users are female and 38% are male.
These Snapchat demographics statistics clearly show that teens and young adults are most likely to use Snapchat. Honestly, kids are obsessed with taking silly selfies with filters on these days.
They’re not the only ones, though. After all, who wouldn’t like to know how they’d look with dog ears or horns? Who doesn’t want to put a crown on, wear a cool mask, or see how they’d look when older?
Anyway, the tendency is that older generations don’t care much for Snapchat. But when Generation Z reaches old age, I can imagine all these grandmas and grandpas sitting on benches, staring at their smartphones, still sharing Snaps and opening their mouths to see their dog tongues on the screen.
It’s no surprise that Snapchat female users are the majority, but men are not far behind. No one can resist!
So let’s see what’s happening on Snapchat daily.
10. The total number of Snapchat daily active users is 190 million.
This is how many people use Snapchat in just one day!
- About 61% of users access the platform daily.
- There are 3 billion snaps (photos and videos) created every day.
- A user spends on average 30+ minutes on Snapchat daily.
- Users under the age of 25 spend on Snapchat 40 minutes on average daily (more than on Instagram).
- Snapchat daily video views are more than 14 billion.
The majority of users access Snapchat every day. In fact, each user spends more than 30 minutes on average on Snapchat. If they’re under 25, they spend even more – that’s 40 minutes daily, which is more than what they spend on Instagram.
Snapchat User Demographics
There is no surprise then that there are 3 billion snaps created every day. Moreover, daily videos get more than 14 billion views.
The biggest audience is from the US.
11. The number of Snapchat monthly active users in the US and Canada alone is 101.2 million.
- 24% of US social media users are on Snapchat.
- 30% of US Millennial netizens use Snapchat regularly.
- Snapchat is the most important social network for 41% of US teens.
- 20% of US college students use Snapchat.
- 73% of Snapchat users in the US are 18-24 years old.
Snapchat is most popular in the US, there’s no doubt about it. US teens and young adults just love it!
Let’s see how they compare to the rest of the world.
12. In Europe, there are 61 million daily Snapchat users.
- More than 37.5% of UK smartphone users use Snapchat.
- That number is 50% in Norway.
- Ireland, Saudi Arabia, and Sweden have the highest levels of Snapchat penetration of their population aged 16+.
Snapchat is really popular worldwide. The US takes the first place, ahead of the rest of the world. Still, even in other countries, most young people have used or at least heard of Snapchat.
Its founders must be happy.
Now that we know all about Snapchat user demographics, moving on.
How Much Is Snapchat Worth?
13. Snapchat’s CEO Evan Spiegel was the youngest billionaire worldwide in 2015. He is still in the top 5.
(Source: Business Insider)
- In 2013, Facebook offered $3 billion for the company, but Snapchat refused the offer.
Each of the founders’ stakes at Snapchat is now valued at $4 billion, so that was a good decision. The company received a $24 billion valuation, which is the second-largest IPO ever in the US.
- Google wanted to buy Snapchat for at least $30 billion in 2016/7.
Snapchat didn’t take the deal but perhaps now regrets it. Stats now show a slower rise in the number of new accounts and a slight decrease in the number of daily visits.
But did you know that:
14. When was Snapchat created? Snapchat founders failed 34 times before they created Snapchat.
- Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy failed on 34 other projects before succeeding with Snapchat in 2011.
The lesson is to never give up!
- The two of them paid Reggie Brown, the third co-founder of Snapchat, $158 million to cut all ties with him.
Reggie Brown sued them in 2014 for being denied recognition and an equal stake at the company and being forced out. He agreed to settle for this sum that denied him entry to the billionaire club along with his former partners.
I don’t know what happened exactly but… not cool, guys.
Now let’s talk about money.
15. Snapchat generated $320.4 million in Q2 2019.
- Snapchat made $1.68 in average revenue per user in Q1 2019.
- Snapchat has filed for an IPO that could value the company at $25 billion.
- Snapchat got a $250 million investment from a Saudi prince for 2.3% in 2018.
Snapchat is definitely still going strong. Even princes sponsor it.
And now, some more fun facts and Snapchat usage statistics:
Interesting Facts About Snapchat
16. Active Snapchatters open the app about 20 times a day.
- More than 400 million Snapchat stories are created daily.
- More than 60% of active Snapchat users create new content every day.
- On average, users spend 34.5 minutes per day on Snapchat and send 34.1 messages a day.
Wow! So this means that…
- It would take you 10 years to view all the photos shared on Snapchat just in the last hour.
Just look at the numbers:
- More than 20,000 photos get shared every second.
- 528,000 snaps get sent every minute.
Imagine if one person received all of these!
Here are more statistics about Snapchat that will make you smile:
17. 95% of users say Snapchat makes them feel happy.
If you’re happy and you know it, snap a pic! If you’re happy and you know it and you really wanna show it…you know what to do!
That’s one reason why:
- Snapchat is the 6th most popular mobile social networking app in the US (by the number of monthly users).
Facebook still leads the way, followed by Instagram, Facebook Messenger, Twitter, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
So how popular is Snapchat? I can tell you this – it has a place at the cool table in the canteen!
- 50% of male college students and 77% of female ones share selfies on Snapchat.
Love yourself! If you feel pretty, take a selfie. If you don’t, still do it and it’ll make you feel better – it’s scientifically proven!
Take silly photos with filters of your friends too!
And now for some embarrassing facts about Snapchat:
18. Nearly 1 in 6 users has received an inappropriate photo on Snapchat.
You know the kind I’m talking about.
- 15% of users have shared photos of their private parts on Snapchat.
Snapchat definitely facilitates sexting, and that concerns parents.
- Nearly 100 million Snapchatters have received an unsolicited nude photo at least once.
Don’t be that guy who sends them! It’s never a good idea. But if you’d like, you can share a pic of your drink.
- 93% of users have shared photos of their drinks.
I might be guilty of that… But some cocktails are just too pretty to be simply drunk. And we all like showing we’re having fun. Cheers!
Now, enough drinking, let’s get down to business! Here are some Snapchat advertising statistics.
19. Taco Bell paid $75,000 to advertise on Snapchat.
(Source: Search Engine Journal)
Here are more details on it:
- This money was spent on 24 hours of advertising
- Taco Bell chose a filter ad format to advertise
- The Taco Bell filter ad got 224 million views
Was it worth the advertisement cost? It sure was. After all, it was relevant, unique, and funny and got an incredible amount of views.
20. Snapchat pioneered vertical video ads.
(Source: Search Engine Journal)
These are ads that you can view on your phone vertically. It made watching ads on phones super convenient. Moreover:
- Ads on Snapchat have helped users find new brands
- 4 in 10 Snapchat users say they discovered a new brand through posts and endorsements
Snapchat Business Statistics
21. 64% of businesses use Snapchat.
- 57% of all brand posts on Snapchat are video ads.
- 20% of users view Discover content daily – that’s 35 million people.
Given the high number of Snapchat users, it’s no surprise marketers use the platform to build brand awareness, share offers, and boost sales. There are many options to promote brands, including sponsored geo-filters and video content, and influencers. Some big names in the game are Nike, Audi, and Cisco.
Videos engage the audience more, and that’s why they’re the favorite medium brands use for advertising.
- The 3 most viewed brands on Snapchat Discover are Buzzfeed, Comedy Central, and iHeart Radio.
54% of users regularly view Buzzfeed content via Discover, 44% view Comedy Central, and 32% – iHeart Radio. CLICK TO TWEET
Other popular brands are Food Network, ESPN, and People.
- 224 million Snapchat users viewed the Taco Bell lense ad.
Marketers can launch a sponsored filter campaign on Snapchat to spread brand awareness, and that worked amazingly for Taco Bell. It has been the top Snapchat campaign in history.
22. In May 2018, unskippable ads were introduced to the platform.
Snapchat introduced these new unskippable 6 second-long ads to increase ad revenue. All hell broke loose!
No one likes sudden changes but after a while, users got used to them. After all, the company needs to profit, and money doesn’t grow on trees.
That was clever because:
- 70% of Snapchat users were skipping ads before the redesign.
Now you can get them to watch all those ads. And, interestingly:
- 88% enjoy viewing the entire story created by advertisers.
- 54.8% of Snapchatters enjoy seeing stories from brands they follow.
- 50% of all stories by brands have no more than 6 snaps.
People have the attention span of a goldfish – at best! So keep it short and be creative!
And one final cool fact:
- In 2014, the NCAA decided that coaches are able to use Snapchat for recruiting purposes.
There was a long debate but the NCAA finally allowed colleges and coaches to use social media to contact potential student athletes. Good for them for keeping up with the times!
After all these Snapchat statistics, there’s only one thing left – to answer people’s burning questions.
Snapchat Advertisement Audience Statistics
Advertising on Snapchat is well worth it. We think it should be a part of your brand’s marketing strategy, especially if you’re targeting a young audience.
23. Snapchat user demographics falls between 15 and 25-year olds
- Among teens, Snapchat is the most popular social media platform
- Its primary demographic consists of both millennials and Generation Z
Simply stated, over half of the young U.S. netizens use Snapchat. If you want to target this audience, it makes sense to allot a reasonable budget for advertising on Snapchat.
24. The direct spending of millennials and Gen Z through Snapchat is around $1 trillion
(Source: For Business Snapchat.com)
That’s good money. Imagine the amount of profit that your business can make through Snapchat. Here are some more insights:
- They are 20% more likely to make purchases via their mobile devices
- You can choose from a variety of ad formats on Snapchat, including single images or video ads, collection ads, story ads, filter ads, and commercials
There are many ways to advertise on Snapchat and reach out to your target audience, and you can select the most fitting and engaging format for your business.
These Snapchat stats are mind-blowing! Even if you weren’t a Snapchat user when you started reading this, now you probably want to join in the party.
What’s more, now that you know all crucial Snapchat statistics, you’ll be more confident exploring and experimenting on Snapchat. Whether you want your small business to perform better or simply have fun, you can take advantage of them.
Go take some snapshots and share them with the world!
See you on Snapchat!
310.7 million are monthly active users on Snapchat, so we’ll take this number as the answer.
Definitely the US.
Snapchat has 97.55 million users from the US alone. CLICK TO TWEET
The longest Snapchat streak is 1457 as of May 2020. CLICK TO TWEET
13-24 years olds use Snapchat the most – they account for 90% of all users. CLICK TO TWEET