Last Updated: March 17, 2023
You know that artsy boy or girl in college with the best dorm room ever? They always have a big corkboard or a wall full of polaroid photos, posters, postcards, drawings, and fairy lights. That’s what Pinterest looks like to many people – and it’s so inspirational and fun!
On Pinterest, you can find numerous recipes, useful tips, wedding and decoration ideas, and so much more. If you like something, you pin it to your personal board(s).
Millions of people (and businesses) use Pinterest – it’s addictive, believe me!
Check out these Pinterest facts and stats and see for yourself.
Starting with some of the most
Fascinating Pinterest Statistics
- Over 400 million people use Pinterest monthly.
- 85% of all Pinterest searches are on smart devices.
- 50% of Pinterest users have made a purchase because of a Promoted Pin.
- 50% of Millennials use Pinterest every month.
- Pinterest is the fastest startup in history to reach 10 million unique monthly users.
- 89% of users come to this website specifically looking for purchase inspiration.
Wow! I can’t wait to see the rest of these pinteresting Pinterest stats, can you?
Pinterest User Demographics
We’ll also answer the pressing question: is Pinterest still popular?
1. There are over 400 million Pinterest monthly active users.
- More than 50% of the world uses Pinterest.
- 81% of Pinners are females.
- 30% of all social media users are on Pinterest.
The Pinterest number of users who are active every month is constantly growing – to be exact 416 million as of the second quarter of 2020. Incredible! That’s also 30% of all social media users. Similar to Facebook where women are more involved, 81% of Pinners are women but men are slowly catching up.
2. Pinterest is predicted to reach a 30/70 gender split by 2022.
- In 2018, 50% of new sign-ups were men.
- 38% of American dads use Pinterest.
- 41% of American women use Pinterest.
Who uses Pinterest? Right now it’s “advantage women,” as they say in tennis. Men don’t want to get left behind though and more and more of them join the fun. In the US, the percentage of female and male users is almost equal.
Let’s explore the Pinterest demographics some more.
3. The number of US Pinterest users as of July 2020 is 99.4 million.
- Almost half of the Pinners are from the US.
- 34% of Americans aged 18 to 49 are on Pinterest.
- 80% of new sign-ups are from outside the US.
- Pinterest’s late 2018 top 5 countries by desktop traffic are the US, Brazil, India, Turkey, and Russia, while this year China and Argentina take Turkey’s and Russia’s place.
The US is a formidable force as always. Pinterest is most popular in the land of the free, but the rest of the world is not far behind. More and more people wish to explore Pinterest and take advantage of all it has to offer. Most new sign-ups are from outside the US, as every other nationality tries to catch up to the leader.
But that’s not all for Pinterest user stats. Check this out:
4. Every 1 out of 2 Millennials uses Pinterest every month.
- 40 is the median age of a Pinterest user, but the majority of active users is below 40.
- Male users account for only 7% of total Pins.
- Pinterest reaches 83% of US women aged 25-54, even if they don’t use it.
Millennials are everywhere, and Pinterest seems to be one of their favorite virtual places – at least for 50% of them, which is, like, a lot! Did you expect that?
Interestingly, the median age of a Pinner is 40, but as you can imagine, most active users are below that age.
Pinterest searches reach over 80% of US women even though the number of female users is lower than that. How is it possible? When you think about it, it’s simple – Google Image Search.
And, what do you think, how many members of Generation Z use Pinterest?
Let’s move on to more curious Pinterest facts.
5. You can find over 75 billion ideas on Pinterest.
- The total number of Pinterest Pins is over 175 billion.
- The total number of Pinterest Boards is over 3 billion.
- 158 is the average number of Pins made by an active female user.
- Food & Drink and Technology are the most popular categories for men.
- Art, Art Supplies & Hobbies is the top category in the US.
Pinterest is a vast territory where you can find everything you need – from recipes to fashion and home decor ideas. Saving those perfect Pins is addictive – that’s why there are billions of Pins and Boards already. US users favor art and hobby Pins, while men, in general, prefer the essentials – food, drinks, and technology.
Everyone likes saving all these Pins and imagining they’ll implement all kinds of cool ideas in real life – and most Pinners really do!
6. 98% try the ideas found on Pinterest.
Wow, good for you, guys! Most of my Pins are still waiting patiently the day I’ll actually use them.
- 2 million Pinners save shopping Pins on Boards daily.
- Over 14 million articles are pinned daily.
- The average time spent on Pinterest per visit is 14.2 minutes.
- 80% used Pinterest when looking for product ideas.
- There are more than 1.7 billion recipes on Pinterest.
Alright, chefs-to-be, I hear you – grab your aprons and let’s cook up something scrumptious!
Regular people, just like designers, like to check stock photo sites to get some ideas and download the stuff that they fancy.
By the way, the number of daily Pins is huge but I have a confession to make – I might or might not have pinned the same image (posted by different users) several times by mistake – oops! I’ve done it, I’ve ruined all the stats single-handedly… Oh well.
Aaanyway, let’s move on with some more Pinterest user statistics.
7. 85% of American female users use Pinterest to plan life moments.
- 90% of weekly users use Pinterest to make purchase decisions.
- 55% of users are looking specifically for products.
- 80% have found a new product or brand.
- 59% of US Millennials have discovered products on Pinterest.
- 78% of Pinners consider content from brands on Pinterest useful.
- 90% of users have purchased a product because of Pinterest.
- 72% of Pinners use it to decide what to buy offline.
Pinterest can definitely help you organize your ideas and draw inspiration for any tiny or big change you’re after – whether a new hairstyle or a redesigned home. That’s why so many users turn to Pinterest every week.
Some already have an idea in mind and look for a specific product, while others go in with an open mind and get pleasantly surprised. Serendipity FTW!
Moreover, Pinners definitely appreciate brand content and almost 90% have purchased a product they’ve seen on Pinterest. You know what that means – Pinterest is a goldmine for marketers!
Still not convinced? Let’s find out more!
8. Pinterest is one of the last healthy corners of the internet.
(Source: Pinterest Newsroom)
- Pinterest demographics show that nine out of ten pinners describe Pinterest as a very positive space.
- In 2019, they unveiled a more compassionate search experience that helps users connect with their emotions and relieve negative feelings.
- Pinterest facts show that searches for self-discovery journal prompts, social media detox, art therapy activities, and gender-neutral names list all went up by 147%, 314%, 444%, and 301% respectively.
Today and in the future, users are more oriented towards demanding to see a business take a stand on public issues instead of making vague statements that do not mean anything. In the future, Pinterest intends to be a space where all sorts of people with liberal views about the world congregate.
In a consumer-conscious era, businesses might have a hard time navigating. However, Pinterest users can agree that positivity is something to be desired. On that note, other searches that saw increases, as shown by Pinterest statistics, include low-waste lifestyle (446%), transgender transition (3919%), and LGBTQ coming out ideas (310%).
9. 72% of Pinners say Pinterest inspires them to shop even when they are not looking for anything
- 66% of Pinterest user statistics show that Pinners will buy something because they saw a brand’s pins.
- The 72% mentioned are Pinners who were not on Pinterest looking for products.
- 41% of people who opt to shop in-store, do so by using Pinterest.
- 59% of the users on the platform, are there deliberately to find more about the purchases they make.
Pinterest statistics show that the platform can do more than throw gasoline on the shopping craze of modern society. We come back for ideas on how to get the most out of what we buy.
Pinterest Statistics for Business
On Pinterest, users are more receptive to your suggestions and they even seek them out – so that’s the perfect platform for social media marketing! A visual and cozy space with millions of open-minded people looking to spend their money on something.
10. 93% of active users use Pinterest to plan purchases.
- Nearly 2 million people pin product-rich Pins daily.
- 50% have made a purchase after seeing a promoted Pin.
- Promoted Pins get pinned 11 times on average per ad.
- 2/3 of Pins represent brands and products.
- 95% of Pinterest searches are not related to any brand.
- 51% of female Pinterest users have been exposed to new brands there.
The best thing is that people go on Pinterest open to suggestions and warmly welcome all brands – more than on any other social media.
- Pinterest drives 33% more referral traffic to shopping sites than Facebook does, 71% more than Instagram, and 200% more than Twitter.
On Pinterest, brands don’t compete with family and friends’ posts. Besides, Pinterest is just the right place for introducing and discovering new products. Sometimes people simply don’t know they need ‘em ‘till they see ‘em, am I right?
And to make it even better:
11. The future looks bright for Pinterest revenue with a stock price surge of 40% in 2020’s Q2
- Pinterest statistics show that 2020 Q2 revenue grew by 4% year-over-year to hit $272 million.
- Pinterest monthly active users grew to 416 million, a 39% increase year-over-year.
- The GAAP net loss was $101 million for the second quarter with the adjusted EBITDA at $34 million.
Ben Silbermann, the CEO, said that 400 million people visit Pinterest every month to be inspired during the announcement. Even during a tough time when the pandemic is raging, Pinterest users remain dedicated to finding new ideas and learn new things.
The report highlights that future Pinterest growth, especially in pushing products and helping people discover new things, will continue to thrive. Given the Covid-19 pandemic and other factors, the near-future projections for Pinterest might be uncertain.
However, the long-term health of the business should continue to exceed expectations.
Nevertheless, in case you were wondering how many and how much Pinterest users profit from the platform:
12. Half of Pinterest users make $50k or more a year, while 10% of Pinners’ households earn more than $125k.
- 40% of Pinners have a yearly household income of over $100k.
- 39% of people in households worth $75,000 or more per year use Pinterest.
- US households that are more educated and have a high income are 2x more likely to use Pinterest.
- Pinners are 39% more likely to be active retail shoppers than people who don’t use Pinterest.
- When shopping, Pinterest users spend 29% more than non-users.
Pinners might be dreamers, but they’ve surely got the dough. That makes them winners. Not only will they daydream looking at some pretty pictures on Pinterest, but they’ll also actually do something about it – and that’s why they are so valuable as customers.
And if Pinterest is just not your cup of tea, you should do some research on posting to other social media networks. After all, it’s something we can hardly avoid these days.
13. More than 27% of marketers are already using Pinterest.
(Source: Sprout Social)
- Pinterest is nearly 4 times more effective at generating sales than other digital campaigns.
- Over 5% of all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest.
- Between 2017 and September 2018 there was a 75% increase in Pins.
More and more marketers discover the magic of Pinterest and hurry to join. Both ordinary users and businesses rush to the holy gates of Pinterest, so no wonder there’s been a sudden increase in Pins these last 2 years.
Now, here are some tips for Pinterest marketers to make the most of it!
14. The international Pinterest user base grew by double digits in 2020.
- Pinterest had a total of over 125 million users in 2016.
- The number grew to 367 million by the first quarter of 2020, with U.S.-based users making up only 90 million of that number.
- A whopping 277 million Pinterest users in the first quarter of 2020, were all from international expansion.
The international Pinterest growth is on an uptrend. If you consider these stats, the future of Pinterest seems to not only be bright but certainly thriving. If you market yourself on Pinterest, your focus should not be on international users.
The U.S. market has reached high Pinterest saturation levels. At the current levels, Pinterest for business statistics shows that it is ahead of Twitter when it comes to Monthly Active Users.
The most interesting part about these Pinterest user statistics is that Twitter’s growth is not very remarkable. Pinterest user demographics, on the other hand, shows an uptrend that grows by leaps and bounds each year.
Pinterest Traffic Statistics
More on the regular Pinterest active users behavior.
15. 80% of Pinners access Pinterest via a mobile device.
- Pins featuring life moments lead to a 22% rise in sales and a 10x rise in awareness.
- Landing pages that match the Pin cause an extra 13% lift in sales.
- Pins without faces are repinned 23 times more often than images with faces.
- Travelers are 2 times more likely to use Pinterest over traditional online travel sites.
All that info will certainly help with your content strategy.
As always, the rule of thumb is to keep everything mobile-friendly.
As for the visual part – be sure to add a bit of a description text to the image as well – that’s the best combo sure to win users over.
Moreover, photos featuring life moments are what moves one’s heart, you know? Everyone can relate or aspire to them.
Be sure to keep it aesthetic – it’s better to match landing pages to the Pins. No surprises, please!
Interestingly, travelers have moved to Pinterest now – who knew? The number of searches like “abandoned castles,” “small town travel,” and “less traveled islands” is growing. I’ve got that wanderlust now, thanks a lot!
Meanwhile, Pinterest broke down other top trends for 2019 too – in health and wellness, hobbies and interests, momentous moments, food (of course – everybody likes food!), home, women’s and men’s style, beauty, and kids and parenting.
Phew, that was a long list! Congratulations to the winners! And to our big star here – well done, Pinterest! We should throw you a big party! Brands from various industries will be forever indebted to you! Not only that, but people all around the world are also really grateful to Pinterest for showing them the path to achieving their dreams.
Now that you know all these Pinterest traffic stats, the last bit of Pinterest facts and stats won’t surprise you.
16. In 2019, Pinterest is forecast to increase ad revenue by 40%.
- In 2019, Pinterest’s average advertising revenue per user is expected to increase from $7 to $10, which will bring it on the same level as Snapchat.
- This year, Pinterest is on its way to make $700 million in revenue.
- On Pinterest, there is an average of $4.30 gross return for every $1 spent on ads.
- Pinterest’s market value is more than $15 billion.
Pinterest is growing and flourishing. There’s no doubt it will reach new heights year after year.
Now that we’ve seen that impressive Pinterest growth, let’s conclude with people’s burning questions. Curiosity won’t kill this cat, that’s for sure!
So now you know the answers to 2 important questions – How many people use Pinterest? and Why do people use Pinterest?
It provides users and marketers with a vast happy playground that boosts inspiration, and the results are mind-blowing. Surely, soon we’ll have to count how many people are on Pinterest again because the number is growing rapidly.
Not to worry – we’re always ready for Pinterest facts and stats vol. 2!
Yes, they do, and their number is rapidly growing. According to Pinterest, the number of male user accounts grows by 40% YoY.
Go back to the most popular facts and stats about Pinterest categories and you’ll see many tips just waiting for you. Pinterest marketing seems like a child’s play, doesn’t it?
Are you kidding me? Of course, they do – now more than ever! Pinterest facts and stats show that 300 million people use it, to be precise. Wanna join the party?
How popular is Pinterest, you ask? It’s the high school hottest cheerleader and the alpha jock combined! It’s the perfect mixture of vanilla and chocolate. It’s all the videos with kitties and puppies. It’s Barack and Michelle Obama. It’s… yeah, you get the picture.
It was launched in March 2010. It’s now nearing its 10th birthday.