You know that artsy boy or girl in college with the best dorm room ever? They always have a big corkboard or a wall full of polaroid photos, posters, postcards, drawings, and fairy lights. That’s what Pinterest looks like to many people – and it’s so inspirational and fun!
On Pinterest, you can find numerous recipes, useful tips, wedding and decoration ideas, and so much more. If you like something, you pin it to your personal board(s).
Millions of people (and businesses) use Pinterest – it’s addictive, believe me!
Check out these Pinterest facts and stats and see for yourself.
Starting with some of the most
Fascinating Pinterest Statistics
- 300 million people use Pinterest monthly.
- 87% of Pinterest users have purchased a product because of it.
- 85% of all Pinterest searches are on smart devices.
- 50% of Pinterest users have made a purchase because of a Promoted Pin.
- 50% of Millennials use Pinterest every month.
- Pinterest is the fastest startup in history to reach 10 million unique monthly users.
- 55% of users come to this website specifically looking for products.
Wow! I can’t wait to see the rest of these pinteresting Pinterest stats, can you?
Let’s begin with Pinterest user demographics.
1. There are 300 million Pinterest monthly active users.
- More than 50% of the world uses Pinterest.
- 81% of Pinners are females.
- 30% of all social media users are on Pinterest.
The Pinterest number of users who are active every month is constantly growing – just last year it was 250 million. Now over half of the world population uses Pinterest. Incredible! That’s also 30% of all social media users. Unsurprisingly, 81% of Pinners are women but men are slowly catching up.
2. Pinterest is predicted to reach a 30/70 gender split by 2022.
- In 2018, 50% of new sign-ups were men.
- 38% of American dads use Pinterest.
- 41% of American women use Pinterest.
Who uses Pinterest? Right now it’s “advantage women,” as they say in tennis. Men don’t want to get left behind though and more and more of them join the fun. In the US, the percentage of female and male users is almost equal.
Let’s explore the Pinterest demographics some more.
3. The number of US Pinterest users is 125 million.
- Almost half of the Pinners are from the US.
- 34% of Americans aged 18 to 49 are on Pinterest.
- 80% of new sign-ups are from outside the US.
- Pinterest’s late 2018 top 5 countries by desktop traffic are the US, Brazil, India, Turkey, and Russia, while this year Poland takes Russia’s place.
The US is a formidable force as always. Pinterest is most popular in the land of the free, but the rest of the world is not far behind. More and more people wish to explore Pinterest and take advantage of all it has to offer. Most new sign-ups are from outside the US, as every other nationality tries to catch up to the leader.
But that’s not all for Pinterest user stats. Check this out:
4. Every 1 out of 2 Millennials uses Pinterest every month.
- 40 is the median age of a Pinterest user, but the majority of active users is below 40.
- Male users account for only 7% of total Pins.
- Pinterest reaches 83% of US women aged 25-54, even if they don’t use it.
Millennials are everywhere, and Pinterest seems to be one of their favorite virtual places – at least for 50% of them, which is, like, a lot! Did you expect that?
Interestingly, the median age of a Pinner is 40, but as you can imagine, most active users are below that age.
Pinterest searches reach over 80% of US women even though the number of female users is lower than that. How is it possible? When you think about it, it’s simple – Google Image Search.
Let’s move on to more curious Pinterest facts.
5. You can find over 75 billion ideas on Pinterest.
- The total number of Pinterest Pins is over 175 billion.
- The total number of Pinterest Boards is over 3 billion.
- 158 is the average number of Pins made by an active female user.
- Food & Drink and Technology are the most popular categories for men.
- Art, Art Supplies & Hobbies is the top category in the US.
Pinterest is a vast territory where you can find everything you need – from recipes to fashion and home decor ideas. Saving those perfect Pins is addictive – that’s why there are billions of Pins and Boards already. US users favor art and hobby Pins, while men, in general, prefer the essentials – food, drinks, and technology.
Everyone likes saving all these Pins and imagining they’ll implement all kinds of cool ideas in real life – and most Pinners really do!
6. 98% try the ideas found on Pinterest.
Wow, good for you, guys! Most of my Pins are still waiting patiently the day I’ll actually use them.
- 2 million Pinners save shopping Pins on Boards daily.
- Over 14 million articles are pinned daily.
- The average time spent on Pinterest per visit is 14.2 minutes.
- 84% use Pinterest when they’re trying to decide what to buy.
- There are more than 1.7 billion recipes on Pinterest.
Alright, chefs-to-be, I hear you – grab your aprons and let’s cook up something scrumptious!
By the way, the number of daily Pins is huge but I have a confession to make – I might or might not have pinned the same image (posted by different users) several times by mistake – oops! I’ve done it, I’ve ruined all the stats single-handedly… Oh well.
Aaanyway, let’s move on with some more Pinterest user statistics.
7. 85% of American female users use Pinterest to plan life moments.
- 90% of weekly users use Pinterest to make purchase decisions.
- 55% of users are looking specifically for products.
- 77% have found a new product or brand.
- 59% of US Millennials have discovered products on Pinterest.
- 78% of Pinners consider content from brands on Pinterest useful.
- 87% of users have purchased a product because of Pinterest.
- 72% of Pinners use it to decide what to buy offline.
Pinterest can definitely help you organize your ideas and draw inspiration for any tiny or big change you’re after – whether a new hairstyle or a redesigned home. That’s why so many users turn to Pinterest every week.
Some already have an idea in mind and look for a specific product, while others go in with an open mind and get pleasantly surprised. Serendipity FTW!
Moreover, Pinners definitely appreciate brand content and almost 90% have purchased a product they’ve seen on Pinterest. You know what that means – Pinterest is a goldmine for marketers!
Still not convinced? Here come the Pinterest statistics especially for business:
8. 93% of active users use Pinterest to plan purchases.
- Nearly 2 million people pin product-rich Pins daily.
- 50% have made a purchase after seeing a promoted Pin.
- Promoted Pins get pinned 11 times on average per ad.
- 2/3 of Pins represent brands and products.
- 97% of Pinterest searches are not related to any brand.
- 51% of female Pinterest users have been exposed to new brands there.
The best thing is that people go on Pinterest open to suggestions and warmly welcome all brands – more than on any other social media.
- Pinterest drives 33% more referral traffic to shopping sites than Facebook does, 71% more than Instagram, and 200% more than Twitter.
On Pinterest, brands don’t compete with family and friends’ posts. Besides, Pinterest is just the right place for introducing and discovering new products. Sometimes people simply don’t know they need ‘em ‘till they see ‘em, am I right?
On Pinterest, users are more receptive to your suggestions and they even seek them out – so that’s the perfect platform for social media marketing! A visual and cozy space with millions of open-minded people looking to spend their money on something.
And to make it even better:
9. Half of Pinterest users make $50k or more a year, while 10% of Pinners’ households earn more than $125k.
- 40% of Pinners have a yearly household income of over $100k.
- 39% of people in households worth $75,000 or more per year use Pinterest.
- US households that are more educated and have a high income are 2x more likely to use Pinterest.
- Pinners are 39% more likely to be active retail shoppers than people who don’t use Pinterest.
- When shopping, Pinterest users spend 29% more than non-users.
Pinners might be dreamers, but they’ve surely got dough. That makes them winners. Not only will they daydream looking at some pretty pictures on Pinterest, they’ll actually do something about it – and that’s why they are so valuable as customers.
10. More than 27% of marketers are already using Pinterest.
(Source: Sprout Social)
- Pinterest is nearly 4 times more effective at generating sales than other digital campaigns.
- Over 5% of all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest.
- Between 2017 and September 2018 there was a 75% increase in Pins.
More and more marketers discover the magic of Pinterest and hurry to join. Both ordinary users and businesses rush to the holy gates of Pinterest, so no wonder there’s been a sudden increase in Pins these last 2 years.
Now, here are some tips for Pinterest marketers to make the most of Pinterest traffic statistics:
11. 80% of Pinners access Pinterest via a mobile device.
- Pins featuring life moments lead to a 22% rise in sales and a 10x rise in awareness.
- Landing pages that match the Pin cause an extra 13% lift in sales.
- Pins without faces are repinned 23 times more often than images with faces.
- Travelers are 2 times more likely to use Pinterest over traditional online travel sites.
All that info will certainly help with your content strategy.
As always, the rule of thumb is to keep everything mobile friendly.
As for the visual part – be sure to add a bit of a description text to the image as well – that’s the best combo sure to win users over.
Moreover, photos featuring life moments are what moves one’s heart, you know? Everyone can relate or aspire to them.
Be sure to keep it aesthetic – it’s better to match landing pages to the Pins. No surprises, please!
Interestingly, travelers have moved to Pinterest now – who knew? The number of searches like “abandoned castles,” “small town travel,” and “less traveled islands” is growing. I’ve got that wanderlust now, thanks a lot!
Meanwhile, Pinterest broke down other top trends for 2019 too – in health and wellness, hobbies and interests, momentous moments, food (of course – everybody likes food!), home, women’s and men’s style, beauty, and kids and parenting.
Phew, that was a long list! Congratulations to the winners! And to our big star here – well done, Pinterest! We should throw you a big party! Brands from various industries will be forever indebted to you! Not only that, but people all around the world are also really grateful to Pinterest for showing them the path to achieving their dreams.
Now that you know all these Pinterest traffic stats, the last bit of Pinterest facts and stats won’t surprise you.
12. In 2019, Pinterest is forecast to increase ad revenue by 40%.
- In 2019, Pinterest’s average advertising revenue per user is expected to increase from $7 to $10, which will bring it on the same level as Snapchat.
- This year, Pinterest is on its way to make $700 million in revenue.
- On Pinterest, there is an average of $4.30 gross return for every $1 spent on ads.
- Pinterest’s market value is more than $15 billion.
Pinterest is growing and flourishing. There’s no doubt it will reach new heights year after year.
Now that we’ve seen that impressive Pinterest growth, let’s conclude with people’s burning questions. Curiosity won’t kill this cat, that’s for sure!
Common Questions About Pinterest
What age group uses Pinterest the most?People aged 18 to 49 are the most active Pinners. Click To Tweet
How can I make money from Pinterest?
Go back to the marketing Pinterest facts and stats and you’ll see many tips just waiting for you. Pinterest marketing seems like a child’s play, doesn’t it?
Do people still use Pinterest?
Are you kidding me? Of course, they do – now more than ever! 300 million people use it, to be precise. Wanna join the party?
How popular is Pinterest, you ask? It’s the high school hottest cheerleader and the alpha jock combined! It’s the perfect mixture of vanilla and chocolate. It’s all the videos with kitties and puppies. It’s Barack and Michelle Obama. It’s… yeah, you get the picture.
How old is Pinterest?
It was launched in March 2010. It’s now nearing its 10th birthday.
So now you know the answers to 2 important questions – How many people use Pinterest? and Why do people use Pinterest?
It provides users and marketers with a vast happy playground that boosts inspiration, and the results are mind-blowing. Surely, soon we’ll have to count how many people are on Pinterest again because the number is growing rapidly.
Not to worry – we’re always ready for Pinterest facts and stats vol. 2!