Have you ever wondered how much time you spend delving into your favorite apps?
Since the rise of the mobile internet and smartphones, numbers are going in one direction only – up and up! The development and variety of apps are increasing, distribution channels are increasing, downloads and revenue are increasing, but the root cause is our demand for it.
The app usage statistics are clearly showing app popularity is skyrocketing.
How about we go through some of the latest apps statistics together?
We’ve been most fascinated by the following facts:
- Nearly 50% of all internet traffic in 2018 came via a mobile app and the numbers continue to grow.
- The annual app download statistics speak about 205 billion downloads in 2018. This number is projected to reach over 258 billion app downloads in 2022 with over 2.7 billion smartphone users around the world.
- Mobile apps are expected to generate $189 billion in revenue by 2020.
- As of July 2019, Android holds 76% of the worldwide mobile market share, while iOS holds 22%.
- With 2.7 billion smartphone users, 90% of the total mobile time is spent on apps.
- The app market for gaming is second to social media apps.
With the growing number of people connected to the web (57% of the total population) and the affordability of smartphones, mobiles are now the preferred shortcut to the world wide web. Hence, the supreme mobile app popularity.
Stay with us to get a glimpse at some more staggering app usage stats we’ve prepared.
1. Nearly 50% of all internet traffic in 2018 came via mobile apps and the numbers continue to grow, app usage stats suggest.
- There are over 5 billion unique mobile users and close to 4 billion active mobile internet users on the planet as of Jan 2019.
- The average time spent online on a mobile phone in 2019 is 3.14 hours, compared to 2.30 hours in 2017.
- Over 3.2 billion active social media users access said websites via mobile devices.
It’s crystal clear – we like our mobile phones and our apps too. A lot! And we are quite keen on using them too:
- to connect with people
- to browse the internet
- to play games
- to listen to music
- to watch videos
- for work
- for navigation
… and for so much more! So there’s this ‘overchoice’ we are facing. Not like we weren’t aware of it before, though. Now let’s look at some insightful app stats.
Are you curious about what the apps we download the most are? Read on!
2. The annual apps download statistics accounted for 205 billion in 2018 and are projected to reach over 258 billion app downloads in 2022.
- Over 21 billion apps have been downloaded from Google Play in 2019, generating the largest amount across all app platforms.
- The average app downloads per month in 2018 is close to 17.000 million.
- 25% of the mobile apps downloaded worldwide in 2019 were used only once.
- As of May 2019, the most downloaded banking app in the USA is Chase with close to 760.000 installs.
With over 90% of all apps from the two most popular app stores available for free, we are tempted to keep on downloading. Although we abandon 25% of the mobile apps after using them once, the mobile app download statistics are quite remarkable.
Let’s look at some more data about the mobile app industry.
3. Mobile apps are expected to generate $189 billion in revenue by 2020 – good news for the mobile app industry.
- People spent 22.6 billion USD on mobile apps across all platforms for the second quarter of 2019.
- The App Store statistics show there are 500 million active users per week.
- As of July 2019, mobile platforms are preferred by the majority – 51%, compared to desktop – 45% and tablet – 3.7%.
- As of the second quarter of 2019, the average price for an app in the App Store is 1.02 USD.
Let’s see – with 52% of the total population being mobile internet users and millions of apps available – that’s a recipe for mass adoption. Add to that the fact most of them are free or with a price tag close to a dollar, and you can see why the industry is booming. The monetization through in-app advertising is becoming a preferred business model for most app developers.
As the market of mobile devices is constantly evolving at a rapid pace, apps keep attracting new users, even if their market share seemingly remains the same. Bottom line – app developers won’t stay out of work for sure.
Are you curious to find out what was the most downloaded app in 2018 and how many mobile apps are there? The answers are coming!
- As of Aug 2019, there are 3,079,987 on Google Play, 1,802,861 apps on the iOS App store, 800,000 on the Windows store and 478,990 on the Amazon Appstore.
- The iPhone apps usage stats show that Youtube has been the most downloaded app for 2018, followed by Instagram and Snapchat.
- Facebook Messanger Lite has achieved over 500 million installs in Aug 2019, putting it at the top according to the Android app statistics.
Samsung, Apple and Huawei are the giants among the vendors of smartphones. Samsung’s market share as of the second quarter of 2019 is close to 23%. Hundreds of millions of devices get shipped to every corner of the planet.
As mobile/wireless technology evolves and the mobile devices industry expands, we shall rest assured for the continuous growth of the mobile apps market share too.
What’s the situation with mobile app usage by age? We’ve got that covered too.
5. With 2.7 billion smartphone users, 90% of the total mobile time is spent on apps.
- Americans check their phones every 12 minutes.
- 21% of millennials are likely to access any app more than 50 times a day, compared to only 2% of baby boomers.
- The average person spends 2.3 hours a day using mobile apps.
It appears that we use mobile apps equally when it comes to games – both males and females spend 62 minutes playing a game on a mobile device every day.
Mobile app user statistics show we use entertainment apps the most – 69 minutes per day – with the audience being 55% male and 45% female users.
Are you ready for some more facts about the most loved mobile app categories and favorite mobile games? Here they come!
(Source: The Manifest)
- Apple users prefer gaming apps – 25% of all active apps, with Clash of Clans as the most popular of gaming apps, generate 1.54 million USD in revenue per day.
- The most popular app categories for 2019 in the Android world are tools, communications, video players and edit, closely followed by the travel and local category.
- 96% of the Facebook audience uses the app on a smartphone or a tablet.
- In 2019, the mobile-accessed accounts on social media are 222 million.
- 77% of mobile Facebook users connect via Android devices, 14% via Apple iOS and a little over 9% use another mobile OS.
- Candy Crush Saga is the most popular one of iPhone gaming apps in Aug 2019 with revenue of about 1.62 million USD.
- 25% of mobile app users give up on them because of a lack of storage space.
Common Questions about App Usage
We hope that you’ll find useful the questions we managed to answer for you.
Q: How many apps are downloaded a day?
A: In 2018, users of Northern America downloaded close to 33 million apps a day.
Q: How many apps do people use daily?
A: About 9 apps on average.
Q: What is the most used app in the world 2019?
Q: How many apps exist today?
A: There are over 5 million mobile apps available today across all app stores.
Q: What percentage of people use social apps?
A: About 40% of all smartphone users.
Q: What percentage of apps are free?
Q: How many apps does the average person have in 2019?
A: While the average person has about 80 apps on their phone, they use only 9 on a daily basis.
Q: What is the most used app in the world in 2018?
A: Youtube, followed by Instagram and Snapchat.
Speaking about app usage, it’s worth mentioning the mobile app vs mobile website statistics are pretty clear. US users use mobile apps 88% more often than mobile browsers. Worldwide, this trend stays the same and is set to grow.
Why do businesses need one? To reach the greatest audience possible, to better communicate with the public, to better understand their needs and wishes, to align their marketing strategy with the demand of the public.
Once you accumulate enough data, you can analyze it and even see emerging trends – and why wouldn’t you be the first to catch that wave? It may not be your first move to build a mobile app for your business, but optimizing your website for mobile is a great start!
It’s true that we are now used to our mobile phone apps – it’s easier and it’s quick, devices are powerful, connection speed improves, and most of the apps are free to download.
The app usage statistics are clear – whether you are an end-user, a business owner, a programmer, you need to consider the growing power and usage of mobile apps and adapt!
It’s time for you to check that favorite app now!
See you soon!